DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

White Tower Aging System

Jaydena

Attention this was a previous system sticky that I am updating. If you want to let me know what age group you want in I will add you! If you are missing it's because you were removed by previous staff and I am trying to get you added back in. So please PM me with your age.

Please be aware that this system allows more freedom but once you choose an age for your character your stuck there. If you want to be over 150 you have to get special permission from the DL.

Jaydena

The Mathimatical Equation for Age Based Timelines

Typically most sisters of the shawl want to be of a more mature age when they go through the last battle.(Current Timeline, 1000NE). To support this feeling the previous staff came up with a basic "what your Aes Sedai knows" Timeline based on the current DM & WT Timeline.

An Aged 90 sister (Min Age Sitter) is born in the year 910 NE. She arrives at the tower for testing at 16 So she was entered into the Novice book in the year 926 NE. The average amount of years it takes to be raised to the ring is 8 years, the girl becomes an Accepted in 934 NE and than an Aes Sedai takes an average of 8 years, she is raised to Aes Sedai in 942 NE.

In 942 NE the Amrylin Seat is Kathana Travelear.

If your Aes Sedai character is between the ages 90 - 210 she is Raised under Kathana as Amrylin Seat.

If your Aes Sedai character is between 210 - 280, she is Raised to Sister under Parania as Amyrlin Seat.

If your sister is older than 280 , she is raised under Zeranda as Amyrlin Seat.

The 5/10 Timeline Ages System

WHY WE HAVE CREATED THIS SYSTEM

1) Because  we feel everyone should be able to RP as full sisters during the Main Plotline so they can participate in the RPs associated with it to their full ability as RPers. This means the characters need to have been Raised to Aes Sedai ICly before the Main Plotline.

2) Everyone need to be able to be Sitters during the Main Plotline without having to age their character drastically when they are elected, which tends to complicate their relationships with people they were raised with with by forcing these fellow N & A to age their characters accordingly too, or to discount those relationships they formed during these years.

3) The age relationships of characters needed to be clarified so that when characters need to be upped in age for any reason, we would never have to face again the issues mentioned in point 2.

5 / 10 TIMELINE

The premise from this idea comes from Robert Jordan’s books and how Aes Sedai interact with each other on the age level. You’ll notice that RJ stresses how much Aes Sedai don't talk about how old exactly they are… yet just about everyone knows who is older, younger, or the same approximate age as them? This is the concept which prompted the 5 &10 timeline. This manner of doing the timeline focuses not on how old exactly you are in 999 NE (aka the time of the books) but rather how old you are in relation to your other sisters.

One single generation is 10 years long, the time it takes you to ideally reach the next level (the Accepted- or the Sisterhood) in the bottom of the hierarchy of the Tower. A generation comprises of approximately 5 people who got Raised to the Shawl within ten years of each others.

Why is the Shawl the landmark, you may ask now? Why not the Ring or the time you were enrolled to the Book of Novices?  We could have easily made it any of those to be sure, but choosing the Shawl has two things on it’s side.

1) Many people who join the White Tower drop out fairly quickly afterwards. If we made the day you became novices the landmark, we would potentially have many names in our Generations list who are not around anymore. 2) People who joined the Tower the same day IRL might be Raised to the Shawl at different times.

So a generation is 10 years long and comprised of 5 people. Two generations together form a group.

The Ages can be found here.

Descriptions of the Age Groups

Legendary: 250+ Years - Age Unknown by almost everyone in the Tower but their own group. Keepers of the Tower’s and the World’s greatest and darkest secrets. These women toil under the weight of the wheel.

Mythical: 230+ Years - Age All But Unknown by everyone save the Legends & Ancients. Lore masters to the Nth degree. Learned women who have little use of leaving the Tower. Advisors to the young (rather those who they’d call young!) and teachers to those who are smart enough to find the wisdom carefully hidden in their words.

Age Break: Only 15 Sisters May Stand Above Here.

Ancient: 210+ Years - Age acknowledged by all to be a true achievement even for an Aes Sedai. Masters of Daes Daemar, Queens of the dance of twisting words… fearsome foes, masterful & desired teachers. Rarely leave the Tower if they can help it but when they do… WATCH OUT.

Elder: 190+ Years - Age is respected and feared by all beneath them and acknowledged those older as dignified & refined among their peers. Skilled Politicians and mediators… fearsome battle leaders which even the oldest and best of Gaidin respect and would be honored to stand with; even if they don’t know how to hold a blade. All at this age have achieved wonders with the One Power those below them aspire to and maybe have even created their own weaves at this age if not made some other great discovery for the Tower. Writers of books that are later used as core books for educating the young. These women are most commonly seen in the Tower and when they are asked to leave by their Ajah Heads or the Amyrlin its certain the issue is a rather large one requiring very delicate hands.

Age Break: Only 30 Sisters May Stand Above Here.

(All Other Sisters raised during the course of play are below this point in the year 999 regardless of total number thusly their ages will not be set in stone beyond saying they are below 190 years old in the 999 plot. HOWEVER, characters may feel free to play up this age if they are involved in a main plotline type story arch. Those below this point are sitting in the place where all the real movement will happen. The five and ten system goes into real effect here and then the slow in movement upwards is to show how few Sisters there are in the Tower… there should be very few who are truly old.)

Venerable: 170+ Years - Sisters in this group are well respected by those below them and seen to be some of the most wise of those Sisters who are often yet running around the world being very active (as normally sisters who are above them most often tie themselves to the Tower, though not always) Often generals and leaders of missions sent out from the Tower, their Ajah Heads and the Amyrlin know they can be trusted to not foul things up… well, at least not likely.

Veteran: 150+ Years - These Sisters have seen a lot, and they’re still out there looking for more. Often leaders of front line conflicts either in throne rooms or on battlefields. Their exerpertise means they can follow instructions exceedingly well and know how to improvise in a manner that will usually keep them out of trouble for having not followed all orders to the letter. These women have seen enough to know they haven’t seen it all.

Mature: 130+ years - These Sisters have some experience behind them but they’ve hardly seen it all. They still have the spunk of youth and sometimes the overconfidence of it too. Still, when they do get themselves into trouble they can usually get out of it. Respected by their peers as ladies who know what they’re about, even if they don’t always manage to show the best qualities of their more aged sisters.

Experienced: 110+ Years - Ah, the women who’ve seen things and done stuff but still get a bit wide eyed over the tales of the Veterns, Mature, and the more unbelievable tales of the eldest sisters in the Tower. They are out there building eyes and ears contacts, exploring the hidden secrets of the world and maybe on occasion working with the nobles of the world… though usually not at the request of the Amyrlin Seat. Capable as any Aes Sedai but not yet seasoned in such a way that only Age can do for a woman.

Tested: 90+ Years - Been there, done that… still haven’t gotten a tee-shirt. These young women (by tower standards) still feel like they haven’t brushed off the white lint from their accepted dresses as they watched closely still, asked to do simple tasks by their Ajah Heads, and are fighting for recognition they feel they’ve already earned. They haven’t yet seen so much of the world’s secrets as to fear the unknown and the overconfidence of youth is often their greatest folly.

The group below is where the 5 & 10 timeline actually comes to play.

Young: Under 90 Years - Barely above girls in age (according to the way the Tower thinks) these girl sometimes feel the only thing that makes them different than Accepted is the lack of chores! As a reminder to their older Sisters that they’re not they often wear their shawls hoping that their newly won prize will be recognized for all the respect they thought it would give them. Sadly the young rarely see that even among Aes Sedai, experience is everything. And it won’t be many years until they have the respect they’ve longed for. These are the true adventurers… fighting for every scrap of attention and nod of respect they can get. Often these ones are in over their heads in most issues but their training and smarts get them out of jams. Arguably the funnest age to play a Sister at if only because of the freedom to error.

Holy crap, I'm old! I'm playing around 90 in most of my RP's, mainly because Lor bonded Kyn pretty young, so he'd be old and decrepit if I were really playing 190.

A side note, I'm still italicized on that list (meaning dead or retired...). ;)

Larindhra Reyne (MoN) = 172

This would be in Retro, though, I think, as I made her to be MoN?

Main Time she would be older, but how do I work that out?

My guess is she would be in the Elder or Ancient group.

Zarinen Rafaliva (Highest) = 99 (Group 9)

That was her age when she returned to the Tower 6 months ago, so she would be in Group 9

Esther Tremaine (Novice) = ? (Group 10)

I would like her to be very newly raised in Main Time, but if I read the aging system correctly, that is not allowed? Could someone please explain the system to me?

When this system was created, it grouped people who were Novice/Accepted together, so that our ages would all be about the same during the regular plotline. I think if we go bumping around too much, it will not come out well. How can I mentor someone who's older than me in the main plotline? How can I have taught someone nasty Green weaves when I wasn't even born by the age their bio claims they are?

I'm ok with leaving Lor in the 190 range. I tend to ignore the numbers, anyway, since they never really work the way things are. As long as I can keep who I've met where in Lor's life straight, I think it'll be ok. This roughly translates to a big headache if you overthink it, but I guess that's just my opinion...

After they're raised to AS i believe, though thinking about it now would help ;)

Jerinia's a special case, as her history mentions her being 16 at the time of the Fall of Malkier. If your app isn't bound to a certain event in the timeline you can pick whatever i suppose...

• 4 weeks later...