DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An important message [intro attn MoN]

Kenny

Walking around the corner, Venca saw Lasher’s store and picked up her steps. Even though she had already delivered a lot of messages today it was still early, and she was Lasher’s favorite. Walking into the building, Venca looked around at the familiar room with its plastered walls and poor attempts at decoration, she hadn’t had the heart to tell Lasher looked horrible, and saw the tall dark haired Lasher standing at the bar waiting for her.  He was being his handsome self with his flowing brown hair and his to die for brown eyes, but he was the employer even if he was only a few years older than her.

“Ah Venca you are back with record time I see. Very well I have an important message for you to deliver.” Intrigued Venca walked forward to better hear what he was saying, Lasher thought all of his messages were important, and so never felt the need to voice that thought aloud anymore. “I need you to go to the White Tower and take this with you, they will be expecting you.” At the mention of the White Tower her heart skipped a beat, and then it sped up, beating so hard she was sure Lasher could hear. Calming herself she took the message and with a quick farewell headed out the door to the White Tower, the one place in Tar Valon she had not been in her two years there. 

Even though she had never been there, Venca could hardly be a good messenger and not know the way to the biggest attraction in the city. She knew the route so well, in fact that the scenery went by without her noticing it, so excited she was to finally have a reason to go to the White Tower. Sooner than she would have thought possible, she found herself at the base of Tower slowly walking up the steps to the front door.

Stepping into the first room, she was overwhelmed by the display of beauty and decorations that put Lasher’s décor to shame. Beautiful tapestries were seen in every direction, along with torches and stately statues to complete the vision of perfect beauty. Snapping out of her daydream, she noticed a girl in a white dress making her way over to her.

“Hello miss, how may I be of assistance?” Unable to find words, Venca wordlessly handed over the message. The girl studied the name on the parchment for a moment before telling Venca to follow her, and away they went through the tower. Venca didn’t pay any attention to where they were going, only to continued displays of wealth and power brought forth by the Tower, as she was led to a small door. The girl in white knocked and waited for a moment until a woman opened the door, a woman that Venca knew by the way she carried herself, and most importantly by her face, was an Aes Sedai.

Taking the message from the girl, the Sister read for a few moments and dismissed the girl to be on her way. Turning to Venca, the Woman pulled out stone and told Venca to focus on the stone. After a LONG while, she thought, Venca saw a light in the stone and was so startled that she jumped. The sister lowered the stone and asked, “Do you know what that message said?” Venca shook her head and the sister continued, “A contact of mine, whom I’m sure you know, wanted me to test you for the ability to channel he said he wanted a better life for you than he could give you. Lasher is right you are a special girl and you passed you have the ability to channel in you, you need only to be taught.”  Due to the impact the Tower was having on her, Venca did not at first realize what this woman had said to her.

She could channel! She, a peasant a nobody a lowly messenger girl, no there must be some mistake. Her mind sped up even more before she remembered something else about Aes Sedai, they couldn’t lie. That means she really could channel, but what was going to happen, how do you even teach one to channel? What does that even mean?  A million questions were going thru her mind, but years of suppression made Venca silent and meek as always. The only person in her whole life she had ever been able to be herself with was Lasher. He alone made her feel safe, like the whole world could turn against her and he would save her.

Suddenly she saw that the woman had started to walk and quickly sped up. The woman lead Venca even further into the Tower in silence leaving Venca to her thoughts. Lasher wanted me to have a better life? I like my life the way it is, does he hate me? Why would he want to get rid of me! I’m his favorite! Deep in thought Venca hardly noticed she was moving, much less where they were going, and soon they were at another wooden door and again knocking. Entering before Venca, the sister had a quick conversation with someone she couldn’t see and returned, motioning Venca in before heading down the hall.

Walking tentatively into the room Venca saw yet another woman sitting behind a rather large desk. Nervously standing there Venca waited for the woman to begin speaking.

Deeply immersed in working out rosters, Larindhra called an absentminded “Enter” when she heard the knock on her door. Presuming it was yet another novice or accepted, she continued writing until a rather irritated throat clearing made her raise her head. “Forgive me, Meira,” she apologised as she rose to her feet. “I presumed … but never mind. Please be seated. What can I do for you?” She remained standing when the Sister declined a seat and quickly got to the point of her visit. “And you say the girl tests true? It’s a good thing your contact thinks so highly of her … I hope you will reward him suitably?” The Aes Sedai gave a brisk nod, but did not elaborate.

“Well, thank you very much for bringing her to me, Meira. I’ll get her settled in right away.” She considered her words carefully before continuing. “I don’t know how much your contact knows about Tower life, especially for initiates, but a … cautionary word in his ear about the restrictions on novices might prevent … untoward conduct?” A wry chuckle from the other Aes Sedai told her not to teach her grandmother to suck eggs, but the murmured “Of course, Larindhra.  I will leave the girl in your hands. If you will forgive my haste – I need to get back to my duties,” was polite enough. “I’ll just send her in and be on my way.” Larindhra smiled her acknowledgement then seated herself again.

The nervous young girl who tentatively entered her office looked as if she couldn’t decide between sicking up and fainting. “Come in and sit down, child,” Larindhra gave her a warm smile as she opened the Novice book. “Meira Sedai tells me she tested you and you are one of the very few who can learn to channel. Give me your full name, age and place of birth, and then tell me what you know about Aes Sedai.”

Larindhra Reyne

Mistress of Novices

• 1 year later...

” Come in and sit down, child,”  Hearing the Sister begin to talk, Venca tried to pay more attention and put her swirling thoughts away for now. Composing herself, Venca sat and prepared herself for the coming conversation. “Meira Sedai tells me she tested you and you are one of the very few who can learn to channel. Give me your full name, age and place of birth, and then tell me what you know about Aes Sedai.”

As was habit when she was on assignment and asked to wait for the recipient, Venca studied her surroundings. The first thing she noticed was the big wooden desk with neatly arranged papers covering most of the surface, except for the space that was taken up by a large, ancient book opened in front of the sister. To the right of this was a wardrobe, equally as old as the desk and book, that was faded and non-descript. Realizing that she had been sitting there for some time, and had let her thoughts wander, Venca berated herself while returning her gaze to the sister.   

Taking a deep breath Venca tried to pretend that she was delivering just another message for Lasher as she began to speak.  “My name is Venca Konora, I am 16 years old and my home town is Four Kings in Andor.” By this point Venca had settled into her rhythm and just kept right on going.  “Though I don’t know much about Aes Sedai, even after living in this city for two years, I find that most people who have had dealings with them say they are meddlesome and that they are living in a time where no one wants them around. I have found though, that in most places in and around Andor Aes Sedai are revered and respected.” After finishing her speech Venca just sat there and waited for the sister to continue and returned her attention  to her surroundings…

Larindhra entered Venca’s details in the novice book and sanded it, then sat quietly listening to the girl. So many different stories, so many different women. Each one brought something to the Tower, though, no matter where they came from or what their experience had been. There were things that had to be trained out of them before they could be molded into proper Aes Sedai, but hopefully they retained the lessons learnt from before. Once the girl fell silent, Larindhra rose. "Let's get you dressed properly, shall we?"

She led the way to a small storeroom leading from her office. She picked out a few sets of novice Whites, from dress to slippers to pure white belt pouch. "Try these on and see which fit you better. We can have them adjusted later, if need be. Make a bundle of the clothes you are wearing and give them to me when you are done. If you have any valuables you would like me to store for you, please put them in a pile here," she pointed to an empty spot on a shelf. "Any jewellery you wish to keep with you, please put in your belt pouch or in a box in your room." She left Venca alone in the storeroom and headed back into her office to put the Novice Book away and tidy up her desk.

When the girl came out of the storeroom, now all dressed in white, she held out her hands for the bundle of clothes the girl was carrying. "Before we get you settled in, there is just one more thing to take care of. Please follow me."

Silently she led the way down to a secluded courtyard, where she placed the bundle of clothes in the middle of the paved floor. “What I am about to do is a symbolic gesture of the end of your old life. Once this is done, you enter a new life, breaking all bonds with the past. The White Tower is your life, your future.” Her face solemn, Larindhra looked Venca in the eye as she spoke. Embracing the Source, she channelled a Weave of Fire at the clothes, setting them alight. Quietly they watched until everything was burned to ashes.

Larindhra Reyne

Mistress of Novices

When the sister began to speak Venca only half listened to what she was saying and took the new white robes without question. Her mind was numb, everything she had ever wanted she had found with the message service. She had had friends, people she could confide in, a way of life and a sense of meaning in the world.

Now though, that was all gone, everything Lasher had given her and helped her accomplish he had ripped away from her without even an explanation not even a goodbye!  Feeling herself about to cry, Venca berated herself, smoothed the white robe down, and arranged her hair ready to step out of this room to face the rest of her life.

Venca opened the door stepped out and handed the sister her old clothes "Before we get you settled in, there is just one more thing to take care of. Please follow me." Walking behind the sister, Venca actually started to look around and noticed that despite the glamour displayed in the Tower, every hall seemed to look the same even to her!

The farther they walked the more lost Venca became until the sister stopped suddenly in a courtyard beautifully decorated with statues in each corner, each the same pure white of the Tower, a garden so colorful on one side of the courtyard that she even had trouble distinguishing where one color ended and another began. While the other half of the courtyard was taken up by walkways and benches arranged like a maze without walls.

Setting the bundle of Venca’s clothes down the Sister turned and looked at her. “What I am about to do is a symbolic gesture of the end of your old life. Once this is done, you enter a new life, breaking all bonds with the past. The White Tower is your life, your future.”  Wondering what was going to happen, Venca jumped slightly when the clothes burst into flame and she stood there watching as her old life burned away, though her new life begun yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Larindhra waited silently until she thought Venca was ready to move on, then took the child gently by the elbow. "Let's get you settled into your new room, my dear." She led the way through a myriad of hallways, up ramps and down more hallways. As they walked, she instructed Venca on the rules she needed to follow.

"You will find a complete list of all the rules in your room, but there are a few things you need to know immediately, lest you get into trouble. Firstly, you must address all Aes Sedai by that honorific, and curtsy to them. For instance, you address me as Aes Sedai or Larindhra Sedai. You will obey any Aes Sedai immediately, and without quibbling. The same goes for Accepted - those are the women in banded dresses."

She rattled off a few more until they at last reached the novice quarters, where she led the way to the nearest empty room. "This will be your room for the next few years. You are to keep it clean at all times. Apart from your studies, which we will discuss tomorrow, you will also do other chores, like scrubbing floors and working in the kitchens. You will have a free day every two weeks, when you may do as you like ... within limits, of course." She smiled to take the sting out of her words, but her eyes firm. "Just remember that you are not allowed to leave the Tower Grounds, or anywhere near the Warders Yard unless sent there by an Aes Sedai."

"You will have today to settle in and familiarise yourself with all the other rules. I will send one of the older novices to help you, but if there is anything you need, you can usually find me in my office. Welcome to the Tower, child." With a final warm smile, she left Venca to inspect her new surrounding.

• 3 weeks later...

OOC- sorry it took so long mt life sucks right now... anyway hope you enjoy

Watching her uniform burn made Venca realize more than anything her life as a messenger was over, she was really a Novice of the White Tower. That thought scared her the most. In her old life she knew where she stood, what her role was, but here everything was new and different nothing so far made much sense to her but when the Aes Sedai grabbed her elbow she allowed herself to be steered away from that black spot that represented all she had ever known and to her new life in the Tower.

As they walked further into the tower the Sister continued to rattle off rules and things while Venca, trying to figure out where she was in the Tower, only heard every other sentence.  Wishing the woman would just shut up already and leave her alone she slowed so she was walking just behind the woman until they cam upon a corridor that looked the same as the other only with the addition of doors spaced evenly down the wall.

Finally they came to a stop before a door and the light forsaken woman was STILL talking! "This will be your room for the next few years. You are to keep it clean at all times. Apart from your studies, which we will discuss tomorrow, you will also do other chores, like scrubbing floors and working in the kitchens. You will have a free day every two weeks, when you may do as you like ... within limits, of course. Just remember that you are not allowed to leave the Tower Grounds, or anywhere near the Warders Yard unless sent there by an Aes Sedai."

"You will have today to settle in and familiarize yourself with all the other rules. I will send one of the older novices to help you, but if there is anything you need, you can usually find me in my office. Welcome to the Tower, child."

Seeing the woman smile Venca really just wanted to scream but instead she attempted to smile and said “ Thank you Aes Sedai” and then curtsying while watching the woman walk away before opening her new door and walking in to find a room very similar to what she had at Lasher’s shop.

It was very bland with stark white walls, three beds evenly spaced through the room and the wardrobes which were also white. Everything was just the way Venca liked it, simple and functional and all round just perfect for her. Walking over to the first bed and saw long parchment filled with neat and concise writing almost to the very bottom.

Upon Closer inspection she groaned because the parchment turned out to be the rules for the White Tower. Light all of these rules and I only have ONE day to memorize all of these! With a sigh Venca resigned herself to read the list but only managed to get about halfway down before she dosed off to sleep in her fist night in the Tower.