DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aes Sedai Breathing Trick

Nateku

So yeah, after reading A New Spring, I was quite delighted that the secret of the Aes Sedai's resistance to heat and cold was something us mere non-channeling humans can do.

"Focusing on a point behind you navel, in the center of your body, you begin to breathe at an unvarying pace, but not as normally. Each inhalation must take exactly the same length of time, and each exhalation, and between, for that same space, you do not breathe." A New Spring (Jordan, Pg 196)

I've used this technique a little over the few years I've know of it, and I don't always do it, but whenever it's particularly warm or cold, it seems to help a little. It also kind of helps alleviate the pain when I have a stomach ache, but that's' just me. ^_^ Has anyone else used this method of breathing and did it work for you?

I believe it's an exercise of Chi Kung. The point that's being described is the Dan Tien. It's basically the storage of your body's energy.

Don't know much about it, but i suppose you could Google it as well as i can slap random quotes in here ^^;

Meh, i remember the trick in the book, and i do it whenever its really cold out and it helps me tons. but i never do that navel thing. i just breath at even pacing like described and try and put my mind in a place of relaxation.

If you trick your mind into forgetting discomfort you dont notice it^^

Here's another fun trick (along those same lines):

Get in a comfortable position, and close your eyes. Look inside yourself, imagine watching your heart beat in front of you, try to see it beating in the same rythim as your pulse.

Then smile at it.

Thank it that its beating, and working so hard for you all the time. Do the same with your lungs, your liver, your kidneys. Try to send the thought to them that you're really grateful for all the work they're doing to keep you healthy, and wish them the best in continuing to do so in the future. If one of your organs is giving you a bit of trouble, show compassion to it, and show that you appreciate it even though it's not feeling well.

I believe it's called the 'inner smile', and overall i find it helps quite a bit if you need cheering up, or ease the pain if you aren't feeling 100%.

Please try it out for yourself before bringing on the skepticism, thanks ;)

Here's another fun trick (along those same lines):

Get in a comfortable position, and close your eyes. Look inside yourself, imagine watching your heart beat in front of you, try to see it beating in the same rythim as your pulse.

Then smile at it.

Thank it that its beating, and working so hard for you all the time. Do the same with your lungs, your liver, your kidneys. Try to send the thought to them that you're really grateful for all the work they're doing to keep you healthy, and wish them the best in continuing to do so in the future. If one of your organs is giving you a bit of trouble, show compassion to it, and show that you appreciate it even though it's not feeling well.

I believe it's called the 'inner smile', and overall i find it helps quite a bit if you need cheering up, or ease the pain if you aren't feeling 100%.

Please try it out for yourself before bringing on the skepticism, thanks ;)

I believe this is linked to the Law of Attraction. It is supposed to work but your feelings of gratitude must be utterly genuine. Simply 'trying it out' may not bring you the effects you desire. You need to fully focus on it.

To anyone interested, here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Attraction

PS: I advise you not to try to prevent sweating. Sweating is the best way your body cools itself when the environmental temperatures are high. If you try to block that, then I don't think you'll be doing yourself any favours.  ;)

I've used different techniques like that before to ward off the immediate effects of the weather.

As RJ writes though, a person can simply use the force of their own will to NOT feel something, though the elements themselves are not subject to tricking your mind.  Even though I felt quite comfortable when I should have been freezing my ass off...my body later reminded me that it WAS freezing its ass off, I just refused to notice.

haha

Archived