DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Pride Cometh Before the Fall (Intro Post)

Emperor

Confidence.  This word was the last piece of advice given to Maec before heading out from his home to start his knew life at the Fortress.  His grandfather had high expectations from him.  He had even gone so far as to write a welcome letter for Maec to present to the Quartermaster upon his arrival.  It just would not do for the grandson of a once highly respected High Inquisitor to go unnoticed.  Maec took the ruffled letter from his pocket and once again began the internal debate about using it as he would be at the Fortress early the next morning.  It would be nice to have a leg up on the rest of the recruits.  The internal struggle was short lived as Maec finally decided to start out in his new life with the anonymity that the majority of the other recruits felt.  It would be upon his own merits that he would rise up in the ranks of the Children.  Maec threw the letter into the fire before he could have second thoughts and settled in for the evening. 

The next morning Maec made his way to the Head Clerks office.  Confidence was the only word in his mind.  Maec hesitated at the door briefly before striding into the room.  The man behind the desk quickly looked up with a frown.  Maec felt his confidence begin to wane.

“Maec Valdar reporting for duty sir”  Maec quickly stated, awaiting the man’s response. 

"WHAT!?". Roudal's eye started twitching, as it usually did when the anger was overwhelming. The man in front of him coward. "He will arrive later today. With your permission... I'll take my leave." The man bolted away from the quite enraged Roudal. Running like there was no tomorrow. Or today. Or the day before. Damn, the man was quick like a devil.

A new assistant. Roudal was assigned a new assistant. How incompetent did they think he was that he required yet another assistant? Another squabbling yammering fool added to the bunch he already had. Roudal spent more time scolding them than actually doing his work. How did that improve his performance? he didn't know. But he was not going to put up with yet another distraction.

He sat down in his office and pondered as it started to fill up with the usual mind numbing chatter. Suddenly, Roudal's eyes widened as realization took over. They wanted to replace him! Old Roudal wasn't as young and fit as he used to be. They wanted him to train the new man so he could take his place. The nerve! The deceit of it all. Oh, but Roudal wasn't going to go down without a fight.

"Maec Valdar reporting for duty, sir." Roudal looked up at the man, his eyes narrowing. "Don't think I don't know what this is about. I know your type." Roudal got up and circled the man. "I might be a bit aged. Overweight. And have delicate skin. But I know which side of the sword to hold. If I had a sword, that is... ". Roudal coughed. "Never the less, boy. I have strength and stamina! Punch me in the stomach, go on, do it!".

Roudal

Head Clerk

Certified

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily for Maec, the stories from his grandfather had already created a lasting impression on him about what to expect from the children.  So he was a little suprised by the head clerks response to his statement. 

"Don't think I don't know what this is about. I know your type."  the man stated.  Maec watched the man as he circled him, wondering what he was going on about.  Obviously this man had cracked and the only thing left for him was this desk job. 

"I might be a bit aged. Overweight. And have delicate skin. But I know which side of the sword to hold. If I had a sword, that is... ". The crazy man continued.  Maec stifled a smile at the man's words.  It would not do to provoke the clerk.  "Never the less, boy. I have strength and stamina! Punch me in the stomach, go on, do it!", the man finished. 

For a brief moment, Maec considered decking the guy.  In the seconds before he answered he went through the possibilities of this action.  If he hit him hard enough, he might kill the old man.  This would probably not the best way to start his career with the Children.  If he held back his punch it might be a sign of weakness.  In the end Maec replied "Naw, I think I am ok.  I beat up an another old man for breakfast."

In retrospect, Maec should have left off that last bit...

• 1 month later...

"You impertinent bafoon! Wait till I get my hands on you. I'll show you where the...". Someone coughed. It wasn't Roudal. It wasn't the git he was talking to. A third person. And it was just loud enough to distract Roudal from most likely getting his face mangled. Roudal spun to see who had the nerve to interrupt him when he found an unfamiliar face. "YES?!?!"

The young man eyed Maec and then Roudal pretty casually before speaking. "I'm Neil Gorden. I was sent to join your staff. As your assistance. I was told to report straight to you. I apologize for arriving a bit late..." He peered at this own feet. "I got lost." Roudal eyed Niel in disbelief. "But if you're the new assistant..." Roudal moved his eyes to Maec. Suddenly, realization took over and Roudal's face grew red.

"You've come to join the Children of the Light, haven't you?". Maec nodded. Bloody hell! May the creator strike me down now for being such a halfwit. Meh. Collecting the little that remained from Roudal's dignity, he sent Neil away and sat down at this desk. "I apologize for the... misunderstanding, boy. Let us start anew. In order to enroll you I need your full name, age and place of origin."

Roudal

Head Clerk

• 2 years later...