DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cyndane and Moghedian

trakand_01

So, I'm reading book 10 at the beginning, and so far we have seen Cyndane and Moghedian together... twice. Once when we meet Cyndane, when they visit Graendal and she is pulled into service by Shaidar Haran, and once when Moridin brings them to the Forsaken meeting, when Rand is in Far Madding and they dont know where he's gone. We've seen them seperately a couple of times since then.

There are so many questions I have about their situation, not least of all how does it end? Will they simply stay under Moridin's control? What will happen if he swaps bodies with Rand (presumably Moridin dies in the process)? Will Rand then have control of Moghedian and Cyndane?

We know from Graendal's POV when we first meet Cyndane that she can barely channel. Just a twinkling of the power in her, or something to that effect Graendal thinks. But we also know that Lanfear was quite possibly one of the strongest, if not THE strongest female channeler of all time, before she went through the doorway. We know something else, Flinn can Heal women back to their full strength, from stilled. Lanfear (and presumably Cyndane, as Cyndane's POVs suggest she is still the same person inside, just with a different name) was power-mad. I think this covers all types of power, including the Source. Do you think it is possible that if Flinn healed her back to her full strength (likely practicing on Suian and Leane first, to see if it can be done without re-stilling them), that she would help the Light?

Personally I think Lanfear/Cyndane can be bought, with enough promise of Power. Though how much trust you can put into bought allegiance, I do not know.

Another thing that I find interesting about Cyndane and Moghedien is than Cyndane named herself Daughter of the Night - Lanfear. She was the first Forsaken (I think?) and she chose her own name. She is extremely skilled in Tel'Aran'Rhiod, but we know (I can't remember the source, but I distinctly remember it) that Moghedien is actually the true wonder in T'A'R; she is much better than Cyndane, knows so much more, but hides it well. Could they eventually come to blows over this?

I think that Cyndane and Moghedien are going to have to learn to trust each other, completely, or else find someone else to trust with, quite literally, their lives. They are bound by cour'souvras, one swift action and their minds could be destroyed by whoever holds their cour'souvra. They also cannot channel around their own cour'souvra. The implications of this, if they are to be used to any effect, and assuming that Moridin does not survive them, are that either Moghedien will have to take Cyndane's cour'souvra, and vice versa, and they will have to split up, or someone else will have to take it. But, who in their right mind would wear the cour'souvra of two Forsaken and be trusted with it?

I wonder, is it possible that Rand/Moridin will swap, Rand will become the owner of the cour'souvra of Moghedien and Cyndane, and will bond them to his Asha'man, or someone else, to ensure that they a) cannot be killed by that person, for the pain it would bring the bondee, and b) cannot go haring about doing evil deeds, for the bond and, presumably, an Oath?

Is there any way to be released from a cour'souvra?

We know from Graendal's POV when we first meet Cyndane that she can barely channel. Just a twinkling of the power in her, or something to that effect Graendal thinks

Cyndane is quite strong in the Power she just isn't as strong as she used to be as Lanfear. You might want to double check that POV of Graendals.

The implications of this, if they are to be used to any effect, and assuming that Moridin does not survive them, are that either Moghedien will have to take Cyndane's cour'souvra, and vice versa, and they will have to split up, or someone else will have to take it.

I don't think either of them would ever trust each other enough to allow the other to take their cour'souvra.

b) cannot go haring about doing evil deeds, for the bond and, presumably, an Oath?

The Asha'man bond requires obedience, therefore no Oath is required.

Other than that I like it. I also think it would be really cool to see Cyndane and Moghedien battle it out in TAR, with all the stuff they can do it would be pretty epic.

Cyndane is quite strong in the Power she just isn't as strong as she used to be as Lanfear. You might want to double check that POV of Graendals.

Not only quite strong, Graendal is shocked at noticing that Cyndane is stronger then she is, something that according to Graendal was rare even among men during the AOL.

Really? I'll have to go check that again, I have got it in my head that Graendal said she could barely channel...

Thanks for the info though.

With regards to them not trusting each other - that's exactly my point. SOMETHING is going to have to happen, but can you see an Asha'Man wanting to bond Moghedien?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mog survive the soul trap somehow, she is a survivor. But Lanfear doesn't seem to be able to change, despite her intelligence. I think Moridin has already decided she won't outlive her usefulness to him, and she won't be able to do anything about it.

Since I do not believe in any bodyswapping, I think the odds are quite good that if the gals have not died before, they will die when Moridin dies.

A possibility could be them arranging an assault on Moridin to get their hands on the mindtraps, but since that would rob us of a Moridin - Rand confrontation, I can not really see it happening. Or at least not succeeding. Though, considering Moggys comment at the end of WH, that she believed she would never feel fear again, she will be up to something out of character in AMOL, so who knows. It would be cool to see her attempt to sneak up on Moridin, only to have him crush the mindtrap in his hand ;D

ok what about this - Rand is about to kill Modrin - then he realises that two woman are going to die if he does - and his "probelm" takes over he will not be able to kill them forsaken or not.... what will happen next?

Let's hope that Moraine will be around to kill Lanfear a second time!

Why are people here assuming Moggy and Cyndy are going to die if Moridin dies? As long as he doesn't fall over, or gets burned too badly, I assume they'd be fine.

My predictions are that:

1. Moggy survives. If she dies, it will be off-camera.

2. Cyndane, as a classic femme fatale, will do something at the end that helps Rand win, but unintentionally, which results in her death.

Why are people here assuming Moggy and Cyndy are going to die if Moridin dies? As long as he doesn't fall over, or gets burned too badly, I assume they'd be fine.

I can only speak for myself, but I assume that when Rand faces Moridin, he will do as he usually does when facing a forsaken, take one of the more powerful weaves he knows, which would destroy Moridins body, including the mindtraps. I mean, it is not very likely Rand would aim for the legs, right ;)

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

Yes, I do love that about Rand, hes about as subtle as a sledgehamer to the face. Im guessing before Lews Therin got himself ta'verenized and bound to the wheel he was US military.

LOL. Heh, that was a good 'un. ;D

Archived