DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mentors/Mentees - set in stone?

Elgee

I've been thinking a lot about the Mentoring system, and Nyn mentioned something I find appealing:

Instead of the current system where it's a one on one situation, how about one person is responsible for teaching Intro to Saidar to all the novices (hopefully in groups), another for Intermediate, etc ?

This will be more like the Books, will make for more interaction between Novices / Accepted, and less repetition of one-on-one threads.

Novices/Accepted will have a deadline of say 1 week to post, so as not to hold others up.  We could wait for there to be 4 or 5 novices, or maybe hold the class once a week/month.  Should there not be sufficient novices, but those present need the class, we can do it in a smaller group or 1 on 1.

This might make more people willing to Mentor, as they wouldn't need to teach as well, just do a normal RP.  The teachers can rotate, so that anyone able and willing can take a turn.

Any comments?

I assure you, love - put me on, and I will ignore it unless every every everyone else has broken thumbs.  I 'conned' the MoNster of my day into letting me take on a project instead of having to teach a course per old reqs  :-X

I like the class option as well.  But, same as Raeyn, I'm an oldbie and that's how we did it when I was still a youngster.  It offered more opportunity to meet others and interact with others. 

I'm ok with having a mentor and mentee system, but I think the mentor should be more of a person to go to for guidance instead of lessons.

Novice: "I'm having a hard time adjusting to life in the Tower, and I just can't GRASP that stupid weave they want me to do!" 

Mentor "Oh, we all have a hard time adjusting at first, but if you just stick with it, you will come to view the Tower as your home and family and wonder what you ever did without it.  Now about this weave, how about if we practice it together?  Clear your mind...."

More for character development than training.  But that just may be my age speaking ;-P

I will throw in my two cents as well. I like Raeyn was first around when your mentor was only there to help guide you OOC and help out when needed ICly as well. I believe that system is a lot easier on the mentors and adds a lot more freedom for the ickle Novices and Accepted. If this is a system you decide to gow with you can add my name to the mentor list again.

I had said no recently due to time constraints, having a one on one situation is a lot more work for the Mentor and takes more time that a lot of us do not have!!

Those were alot of the reasons we made the switch over at the Warders.

I love the idea hun, it's one I have wanted for a long time, wanted it when I was doing your job and wasn't allowed. I actually have Intro and Advanced written up if you want to look them over for weaves. I think we should totally do this, I miss the days where we had these big classes and it was so much fun.

Oh this is great!

So what do you think:

Option 1: continue with the "meet MoN, who hands over to Mentor for a quick hello"

Option 2: "meet MoN, straight to Novice quarters, meet Mentor in free-form RP later"

By free-form I mean mentee & mentor set up their own way of meeting.

Option 3: Mentee/Mentor decide between the above options, let me know, and I follow their lead.

• 1 month later...

Update:

1) Seems like everyone is in favour of the group novice class, so we'll go with that.

2) I'll put option 3 to the novices who've not gone off to meet their Mentors yet.

3) Nyn is busy till 7 May, so I'll teach the Intro to Saidar class, if no-one else wants to. 

Would appreciate seeing that stuff you wrote up, Jade, in case no-one else wants to teach the class.

48 hours to volunteer, people  ;D

the lg_curepipe@hotmail.com one, Jade - thanks bunches ! *snuggles*

That's cool, Jehaine - I'll make a thread once it's decided exactly who's going to run the class, and you can be first to volunteer for the experiment ... err ... I mean to be in the class *looks shifty*  ;D