DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Amazon Kindle-- Would you use it?

JenniferL

Amazon has released the Kindle today, an electronic book reader that's supposed to do for e-books what the iPod did for music downloads.

You can read about it here: http://www.newsweek.com/id/70983

I have to admit, I'm intrigued by e-books. I haven't purchased many (just the WoT sample chapters), but that's mainly because I'd have to read them on my laptop. I'm not sure if a device can replace the tactile experience of reading though. It sounds like they are trying though.

So if the $400 purchase price wasn't an issue for you, would you buy one?

Well I have to agree that I prefer the book.  I think I always will as well.

However, given that, if it became widely accepted and all books began to get released on it as well as in print, I'd get it.

My main reason for not liking eBooks is that I can't take them to work with me, take them outside to relax under a tree, etc.  This would eliminate that problem, because you could take it anywhere. Also, ever since sci-fi programs started depicting computerized pads taking the place of the printed word. So sadly it is an inevitable change.

We had a trial run of something like this, not sure it was called a Kindle though. It is an ebook reader. Anyway, we had a trial at work and I was quite impressed - it wasn't hard on the eyes at all, and was definitely v. portable, more so than with a laptop even.

Still, I do prefer books.

It would probably heavily depend on the type of screen/backlighting/etc... I don't do movies or book-reading on my computer, because my eyes WILL start to swim after a while.

Granted, I've an ancient monitor that has a ::gasp:: glass screen still, so ;)

The only time I do ebooks is either for ebook-only releases, like wot-prologues where real books is not an option, or literature I work with, just because it is more convenient to switch between windows, than switching between books and computer.

But otherwise I prefer the feeling of a real book.

No. I can do forums for hours and hours, but thats cause its not in all 1 block of text, which I am unable to read on computer screens. Besides which, I treasure my books, and dislike the very idea of Kindle.

This is exactly how I am.  I can do the forums, but I don't often read a post that gets very long and I'll almost never read one that is a huge block of text and not broken up. 

If it's very portable and easy on the eyes, then I might adjust to something like this.

Archived