DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Australia catches up to the civilised world

Taya

Ell - I'm so glad you didn't have anything to be depressed about on that day :) *hugs*

Barmacral I am so sorry to hear that!

But our prior conservative douche has had 4 terms in office, that's more than enough for me! It's our turn to smile now, instead of weeping like I did the last 3 elections. :)

I'd smack myself but I'd have no idea what I'm smacking myself for

From what I can gather the previous Australia Prime Minister refused to do some sort of deal with Japan? and now the new one will be joining it?

And as I'm under the impression barm is american I'm gonna go ahead and assume bush did something else stupid

Yeah, our previous PM did all sorts of great things, like locking up refugees in the Australian desert, and getting the navy to shoot at a boat of new refugees so their boat sank, etc, and then completely demonising those people who were being shot at (sadly the majority of Australians seemed to buy the lies). And even when it was exposed as being a complete fabrication, not long after he won the election, they still believed he was a good guy.

He also refused to have anything to do with National Sorry Day which is related to trying to achieve reconciliation with our indigenous people, to basically say "I am sorry for what happened to you in the past." He saw it as an admission of guilt, which it wasn't at all. It was meant to be more an extension of some empathy, and a demonstration of social conscience.

Oh, don't even let me go on, I could ramble for hours.

But back to the Kyoto thing, before I shut up, he also refused to ratify the Kyoto Protocol completely, which is a protocol for dealing with climate change.

Yeah well we in america are almost done with bush^^

Now just to pick the new poison...seriously I'm an independent in California and two years ago they had it so independent voters could pick a party and vote in their primary but the federal government stepped in and stopped it. So i ended up going republican and I can't find anyone even half way decent (and I know "go democrat instead" but I'm not a big fan of the democrat big three either >.<)

god i hate politics >.<

Politics in both my countries (Trinidad & Tobago and Canada) are just...lame. Fortunately for me, I was out of Canada when Harper gained power so I could only be horrified by his tactics and not actually experience them. I tell you, that man is ruining a great country. And I hate it. But at least the Canadian dollar is gaining in value.

As for Trinidad... *sigh* For years, we've had merely 2 parties to really consider and both are corrupt. The current ruling party (they won the elections held earlier this month) is led by a complete idiot. Really... crime in the country is spiralling out of control, yet he meets with the gang leaders, calls them "community leaders" and makes them important by having several meetings with them in prestigious hotels. COMPLETE IDIOT. Because it has only made the situation worse.

What's even sadder is that for this recent election, a 3rd part entered into the game. This is the party that should be ruling because it's the only smart party that cares about the country and not about being corrupt and seeking personal gain. Most of the intelligent people in the country wanted this party to win but they didn't even bother to vote. Why? Because the ruling party indulges in voter padding so everyone saw it as a hopeless case. Again... I'm glad I'm out of the country.

Edit: I was so caught up in my rant that I forgot to mention: as a cricket fan, Howard REALLY annoyed me.

Yes, YAY for Australia.

But let me just make you all super jealous by mentioning New Zealand's government. They are the GREEN party, and they actually got elected. They are doing wonderful things and, surprise surprise, New Zealand's economy isn't in crisis or anything.

Yeehaw!

Archived