DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shocking Harry Potter News

Dwynwen

I totally agree with those last few comments - but I also see the point that Ihsara was making.

Still, it was a topic that came up in conversation right? It wasn't like she contacted the newspapers and said, "I want you to run a new article about how Dumbledore is actually gay!"

And because I'm helpful and nothing if not particular (what? anal? who said anal? shutup! :P) about this kind of stuff.. here's the transcript from Carnegie hall:

The question was: Did Dumbledore, who believed in the prevailing power of love, ever fall in love himself?

JKR: My truthful answer to you... I always thought of Dumbledore as gay. [ovation.] ... Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald, and that that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more because falling in love can blind us to an extent? But, he met someone as brilliant as he was, and rather like Bellatrix he was very drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him. Yeah, that's how i always saw Dumbledore. In fact, recently I was in a script read through for the sixth film, and they had Dumbledore saying a line to Harry early in the script saying I knew a girl once, whose hair... [laughter]. I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter, "Dumbledore's gay!" [laughter] "If I'd known it would make you so happy, I would have announced it years ago!"

Whole thing can be found here.

When put in that context it makes much more sense than just outright saying, "oh, he's gay."  Its nice to know that there really is a bit of evidence in the books now, and I can see it better after reading that excerpt.

Oh there really is evidence for it. Well, maybe not outright, but after DH came out a lot people were all "Dumbledore/Grindelwald is LOVE!!11ONE1!" but mainly from a stupid, fangirl-y kind of perspective, y'know? Which is part of why everyone in the fandom is so baffled by it, I think. It's like after HBP came out and everyone just found it to be like one giant piece of fanfiction.

Dumbledores sexuality is unimportant.  It doesn't give to the character, or give away from it either.  The way I see it, Rowling wrote the books and the characters so that you could have them the way you want them to be.  The fact that he is gay to Rowling is a miniscule detail that one can overlook if they choose.  I got nothing against gays, but some do.  As the reader, it is your choice.

and that's my two coppers.

Archived