DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shocking Harry Potter News

Dwynwen

Who cares?

Gay is a way of life now there is no problem with gay people.

Im straight and have a few gay friends they are great for a laugh and they know not to try anything but yews im good friends with some Gay people..

J.K just made a whole lota hell :p

lmao, sounds like either JK has had one to many people ask that question (to which may I say was a very good comment^^) or JK was a little sloshed and decided to have some fun^^

either way he's a good character and its nice for the gay community to have themselves represented by someone that everyone loves^^

Mind, this is gonna drive the Christian nay sayers about the book f***ing batty... XD

Okay...in my opinion, this is just stupid.  The characters of the book she be different to each individual who reads the book by how the reader perceives them, allowing them to deduce how the author wants them to see the character.  Who cares if Rowling says he's gay, I think he was a very good character and an excellent role model character as well.

As for the Christian comments that I've barely heard of....well, I'm Christian and didn't think the books were like that at all, just another fantasy/fiction book that was a very enjoyable read.

I agree Jeannaisais.... I'm christian too and have never had a problem with that series or any other fantasy or witchcraft books.  Not all christians are "God will strike you dead for reading a book that promotes this or that".  I have good friends that are Wiccan and I have good friends that are Athiest. And my best friend is a homosexual! *shrugs*  It's sad that a minority in a group can ruin an image for the entire group.

for clarification I was talking about the minority in what I said  8)

after all, I am Christian too, just a very bad one^^ (honest to god i don't know more then that were "Protestant" and I didn't know more then that till I took comparative religions XD

but yes, my bondy brings up a good point^^

going back to the article though:

"Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."

the fanfiction...oooooh the fanfiction XD

While I agree with you Jean on what the character looks like (yes the author tells us what they look like, but saying nyneave has a pony tail or harry has glasses spawns millions of different images to millions of different people) I don't like it when I see what the movie says they look like cause then people can't get past that.

But as to the characters themselves its their work, their characters, and their story to tell. If JK says Dumbledore is gay then he's gay imo and as its her story its her right. Though I agree with you that he's an excellent role model character^^.

I think its kinda romantic how she wrote it off^^, Griswald being the love of his life who tempted him towards evil and blinded him to the pain it could cause others^^. Only the loss of his sister, at the hands of his lover, could open his eyes to the truth of his deeds. And so Dumbledore leaves Griswald alone...never facing him out in the open till Griswald has obtained power...and defeats his lover, seals him away, and attempts to lead the world onward^^. And in the end, even Griswald was able to redeem himself a bit^^

/is happy

I just didn't see the point of mentioning it NOW. The series is done and his sexuality never played any role (much less important) in it. Ok, he's gay, that's great but... how is it essential to the series? *spoiler alert for those who haven't read book 7* His closeness to Grindelwald was explained as 2 genius minds meeting and appreciating one another. Furthermore, it doesn't really DO much for the gay community in that his sexuality wasn't explicit in the novels. The timing of releasing the information was just off for me, really.

I kind of agree with Ihsara.  I almost see it as a publicity stunt.  Get HP in the news even more now that the books are done and possibley get more of the gay community to buy the books.

Either way, I don't mind.  Nothing wrong with him being gay.  :)

Guest Far Dareis Mai

I am not surprised at all. Back around book 3 I think, I said to my brother "I think Dumbledore could be gay". My brother, a die hard fan, almost had a nervous breakdown I think...but I'm not surprised at all. If anything, I think JK kept it quiet so it didn't cause anymore stir, since she was being hated on already by some religious groups.

And by mentioning it now (which it was alluded in the article I read that it was mostly because the director of Movie 6 mentioned a woman and Dumbledore), look what she did? She gave a big middle finger to those against homosexuality who let their kids read it and grudgingly came to like the books themselves, and now must deal with their own problems. Even if it wasn't intentional, I can see how some people could percieve it as JK getting the last laugh. A great big "neener", if you will. :P

At least, that is what I like to think. ;)

She gave a big middle finger to those against homosexuality who let their kids read it and grudgingly came to like the books themselves, and now must deal with their own problems.

*claps* Bravo and well said!!! I love to see people so self righteous brought down a notch or two  ;D

I also saw him as altogether asexual as a character, but having a problem with him being gay?....not me! I think it would have been a better boost to the gay publicity if he could be read as such a character, but Dumbledore was a very secretive character all around. Kind of a hold-him-in-awe-for-all-his-accomplishments guy, but no one really knows his secrets or his skeletons. That's what made him so awesome!

Archived