DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moonlight and Rope (Fonn and Sirene)

Liitha

Night in the Shaido camp was a relatively peaceful time. Only about a quarter of the Aiel were moving about, and even fewer gai'shain. Fonn preferred moving about at night, letting his mind wander. It had been such a long time since he'd actually gotten away from everybody and just thought about things that Fonn didn't even know where to begin. Maybe if he could get his mind off of his choice to come to the Shaido... There hadn't been a day since his arrival that Fonn hadn't wondered why he'd come to them. The only reason he'd even left the rest of the clans was because he couldn't follow a wetlander, yet here, he felt as if it was he who was breaking tradition, gaining toh. The wetlanders didn't follow ji'e'toh, so he should have felt guilty about their taking of wetlander gai'shain. And to some extent, he did. "That isn't helping," Fonn muttered, drawing a look from one of the Seia Doon. Maybe one of the fires would be able to bring some cheer back to him. Idly, he approached the nearest fire... and stopped. The sound of somebody struggling against something reached his ears. It sounded female. 'Probably one of the gai'shain,' he thought, changing his stride towards the sound. Curiosity wouldn't let him leave it alone.

Fonn wasn't too terribly surprised to find it was what he had expected. One of the wetlander gai'shain had apparently tried to escape or something. Maybe she'd done nothing, and was being punished just because they could punish her. Fonn made no pretense to knowing. Whoever had tied her up had been quite cruel, though. Her arms had been drawn behind her back, then bound at the wrists, and those had been bound to her ankles, the thumbs and big toes on each hand and foot bound to each other. Even in such a hopeless state, she still struggled. There was something vaguely familiar about her, though...

Recognition slowly set in, and with recognition came amusement. Walking around to her head, Fonn settled to the ground so he could look the woman in the eyes. "I see that you're still with us and still struggling. I warned you, didn't I?"

Sirene heard the footsteps then saw the man seting down, she recognised him. And the words he spoke somehow didnt surprice her at all, her answer was that of a glare of daggers. Not that she had much other choise gagged as she was, but even so, she was a borderlander. This was unaceptable, as well she was mad at herself for beeing caugth for the 3rd time since she came here, she couldnt belive her bad luck, but next time she would make sure.

Noticing the gag for the first time, Fonn felt a twinge of pity, which faded as soon as the woman began glaring daggers at him. Light, was she just stubborn, or was there some other motive for a personal dislike for him? Fonn doubted the latter; it was just more likely that she saw him as another of the Shaido. 'No getting past that now, is there?' he thought. "Well, since I really dislike talking to myself, I'll tell you what. I'll take that gag off of you, and you behave yourself. Do we have a deal?"

Sirene snorted and focused on her bonds, they cut into her skin and she wanted down from here, she felt like beating on someone, and she was tired. Yes dead tired all the work, not doing it well enough earned her punishments as well, so she felt tired in every muscle. Oh and to avoid those who where rumored to have more then a healthy interest in the gai'shan, so far she had been lucky she guessed, though she tried to atribute some of it to thinking, to watching where she walked.

"I'll take that as a no, then," Fonn said, settling back and drawing out his pipe before he realized that he had no way to light it. Instead, he just held it as he gazed at the gai'shain. She was quite pretty, but she was gai'shain, and thus not worthy of such thoughts. "I see that you're still as fiesty as ever, and we can both see how far that's gotten you. By now, you're probably willing to resort to violence. I cannot begin to describe to you just how bad an idea that is. The first time you go to touch a weapon or to strike one of the algai'd'siswai, they'll put you into a black robe and set you to the most painful and useless tasks they can. They'll beat you until you can't stand, then beat you because you can't stand. It won't be pleasant, I can assure you. You'd be better off taking my earlier advice and simply surrendering."

She ignored him, made as if not hearing it, she had been brougth up in a country where the shadow was always attacking. Where there where numerous widows and fatherless childs, they didnt sit down and cry thoug, nor give up. No she was a borderlander and as long as there where breath she would figth these filty darkfriends, figth like the men fougth the spawn, she would die with honor at least. She twisted and sudnely rose just to fall back with a new twist, she could hear the snap, and gasped as her shoulder where pulled out of her socket, then feeling her head fall as black spots danced infront of her eyes. She fougth nousea and uncosniousness with all she could, no not now.

It didn't take a Wise One to know that she'd dislocated her shoulder. Fonn suddenly found himself torn between helping her and leaving her there in her pain and stubborn stupidity. Maybe it would sink in if he did. Sighing, Fonn stood, stepping behind the woman and setting at the knots. "You know, being tied up like this is hard enough on the joints as it is, not to mention it'll probably leave your arms and legs so cramped that you'll be unable to go anywhere." The ropes around her wrists came loose, and Fonn then started undoing the knots around the woman's thumbs. "Which means that any attempt to make any escape will probably end with you on the ground in pain." The last knot came free, releasing the woman's arms. Taking up the dislocated arm, he gently massaged the muscles in her shoulder, trying to loosen them. It would make the process of putting her arm back in place a lot easier.

Sirene bit her tounge not to make more sound then needed, mainly her consentration went to not fainting, first as she moved as an result of the ties beeing loosened and then the massage of the brute. Her mind strayed by the thougth of lashing out, but she had to much to do already trying to not pass out, though what this misstreatment was good for she wasnt sure. They where odd in their customs, aparently her self hurting had earned her another punishment, she blinked back a couple tears. Why had she left home, it would have been safer with assasins coming after her, bether, those at least where understandable.

The appearance the woman gave of being near tears could probably be attributed to pain, which wouldn't be surprising; she'd just dislocated her arm, after all. Maybe she was thinking about something else, too. Fonn couldn't say for sure. In the end, he could only go on what he saw, and that was that she was probably in pain. What he was about to do wasn't going to help, either. "Okay, this isn't going to feel good, and I'm sorry about that, but it has to be done. What I want you to do is bite down on your gag. Are you ready?" He didn't wait for an answer. "I'll count to three. One..." The sharp twist and tug that he gave the woman's arm brought the expected snap-pop of her shoulder slipping back into place. "Two..." She glared up at him again, probably angry that he hadn't gone on three. Smiling, Fonn said, "Three."

Sirene disorted to glare at the man while her spining head slowly calmed down with the subsiding pain, well enough so that the spots disapeared. There was still a trobing pain in her arm, but at least it was back in its place, again she should try something but she knew with the pain she would never be able to move fast enough. And one thing she swore to herself, she wouldnt give him the pleasure of laughing even more of her, so she was resorted to just hanging there, straped up by her anckles helplessly.

Aiel or wetlander, women made absolutely no sense whatsoever. This one, for instance, refused to even express gratitude for a simple kind deed. Fonn felt no moral need to aid every wetlander in the camp. 'Then why do you help this one?' It was a simple exercise to ignore that question. Instead, Fonn set about untying the woman's feet and gag, lowering her to the ground, where she could work out her cramps. "Look, I don't care if you hate me for being Aiel, wetlander, nor do I expect you to be happy with your current situation. But what you're doing is acting like I'd expect a child who understands nothing to behave. I untied you so that you could return to your tent tonight; I'll tell the Far Dareis Mai that it was me, and let them deal with me as they wish; I'll also tell them that the treatment ended up dislocating every joint in your body, thus possibly buying you a reprieve." Shrugging, Fonn added, "Of course, considering how prickly the Maidens can be, I'll probably find a collar of spears around my neck before I can think."

Sirene looked puzled, she did know one thing, the female warriors was the maidens. "They didnt..they.." she stoped and bit her tounge, she didnt need to explain herself. She could return to her tent, well as soon as she could walk that was, an atempt to stend made her head swirl and her feets gave under again. Sudenly she could hear her stumock rumble, how long since she ate, how long had she been up there, she wasnt sure. Her hands instinctly went to her head, trying to calm and cool it, she closed her eyes to make the world stop spining. Then notised her dry troath, she felt so heavy in her head, in her body.

"How long did they keep you up there?" Fonn asked quietly when the woman fell back to the ground, his mind racing. It wasn't the Maidens, which was odd, considering that they were normally the ones in charge of the gai'shain. They wouldn't be trusted to the Mura'din, as nobody trusted them. Nor was it likely that it was the Sovin Nai. That left several groups that it could be, but none of them stood out as a possibility. "You may not actually believe this, but I want to help you. You show more iron to you than the other wetlanders, as foolish as it may be." Offering her his waterskin, Fonn asked, "Is there anything you remember that might help?"

she looked confused at him, "am i..." she swallowed and closed her eyes again, keeping them closed this time as she felt a waterskin pushed into her hands, she finished stubornly before drinking thoug, "to belive you..." she ended with a tone of contempt before opening the botle and taking a deep drink.

"I guess that's up to you," Fonn said, watching her drink. If she tried anything, he could tie her up again, but was unsure as to how the knots went. It would cause problems. "The only question I can ask in return is: what have I personally done to give you any reason to doubt me?"

Sirene looked up and gave him daft look, then focused on rubing her wrists. There was figthing and there was figthing, obviously nothing more was gonna happen now and calling him a darkfriend, when she was in no state to defend herself was no good idea.

"So, we're still going to play this game, I see. I can deal with that," Fonn said quietly. Unlike some of his fellow Aiel, he knew a losing battle when he saw one. There would be no forcing her to accept him as anything other than what he was: an Aielman. These wetlanders were still not over what they had deemed the "Aiel War." It made sense that there would still be some resentment from the wetland nations. Idly, Fonn wondered whether there were some specific reason why this one seemed so adamant. "If you're going to go, you'd best do it soon. There's no telling what they'll do to you if they find you sitting here. Especially in your current state."

Sirene rose slowly, gave him a suspicious look and then sliped away huridly towards the tent she shared with one other gai'shan.

Ata

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

Sirene rested for a couple hours then got up, it was perfect, the other gai'shan wasnt there, likely off with some protector she found herself. Everyone else would think she was tied in the ropes, yes none would be looking for her. She looked outside, all quiet, she sliped off, slowly easing towards the edge of the camp with a bundle in her arms. Whomever she met thougth she was working and didnt cast a second glance on her, looking carefully around she sliped into the woods when she was sure no one was looking.

Covered by dark she began walking outside paths, staying hiden, freezing at the least sound, they where quiet but os could she be. When the sun where comeing up she was hours away, would she finaly make it, there could always be pursuit, but if she just could reach a town. Still keeping to the woods she was walking not far from a road, blinking to keep her eyes up as she listened to birds singing, she was sure she had made it this time. She heard a small stream up ahead and slowly crept to it, making sure she was alone before easing into the small opening and washing her eyes, then drinking hungrily as she felt a heavy hand on her shoulder.

She looked around into the eyes of a big brute, behind him where two of his friends, all obviously drunk. She tried to get away, kicked and fougth, but it was all in wain. Still tired from hanging in a rope and not having eaten much yet but from the berries she had found while walking, she was to weak. They overpowered her, even as she strugled helplessly against the violation she was antisipating, she hadnt avoided this in the camp just to be the offer of some thugs now so close to freedom.

"Noo.." instinct made her scream, and figth even as she felt it was hopeless, then sudenly the first agressor was topeling over her, she saw the scared looks of his friends as they turned to run. The swishing sound as arrows flew through the air, and now notising the dead man ontop of her had one sticking out his back. She looked towards where they had come, and color drained from her face as she saw her resquers beeing aiels, slowly they unveiled, not maidens at least. But she recognised one, and she could see he recognised her too. She was to tired, to weak to figth as she was picked up and hoisted over a shoulder. Silently she surendered, knowing it was hopeless, so close, she looked at the world infront of her as it disapeared into familiar landscape, knowing she was beeing returned back to camp. Sirene closed her eyes and cried silently.

As she was dumped onto the ground she looked up at cold eyes and curled up. She knew what would come, and closed her eyes, she would be punished. When nothing happened she opened them, she found herself within a circle of men, a water botle was handed her along with a few slices of meat, and she ate silently under watchfull eyes. Finaly having drained the bottle and licking her fingers for the last scraps of fat from the meet she again looked up with hunted eyes. "Who let you loose?" what was the internal strives to her, and he had said he would say, so she described him and got a nod from the obvious leader of them.

He rose and walked off, she sat lost back in the circle, what would happen now.

Last edited by Ata on Sat May 05, 2007 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Quibby

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

Fonn was still wandering through the Shaido camp, lost in his own thoughts, when the Thunder Walkers found him. The moment they stepped into view from between the tents, he knew that they had been sent for him; apparently, they'd discovered their prisoner untied and back in her tent, and she'd probably been asked who he was. Thus, the meeting. Fonn couldn't say that he was exciting about the prospect. Of course, pleasantries had to be observed. "I see you," he murmured as the Thunder Walkers, only three, approached.

"I see you," the man in the middle replied. "Muadin sent us for you, Fonn. He wishes to have a word with you about one of his gai'shain, who you were so kind as to aid in her attempted escape."

Fonn's eyebrows furrowed. Escape? There was no way that was possible; the woman should have been so cramped and sore that she couldn't move from her tent, much less escape! They must have been mistaken. "I know nothing about any escape attempt. I'd be foolish not to admit to untying her, as she's obviously told you it was me, but the last I saw, she was in her tent and barely able to move."

"You'd best come with us."

That had been about ten minutes ago, if Fonn was guessing at the time correctly. He was seated in one of the larger tents, still not very big, and across from him was Muadin, the Shaido society leader for the Thunder Walkers. Neither had said a word beyond their greetings. The presence of the woman wasn't helping the situation. She was back in gai'shain white, and she appeared to be nervous. Fonn couldn't really blame her; he wasn't overly-excited to be here himself. But that was neither here nor there, and it wasn't getting him out of this tent any faster.

Muadin finally broke the silence. "You know ji'e'toh, Fonn, just as well as the rest of us. Why would you break custom and free a gai'shain who was being punished?"

Fonn shook his head quietly. Had all these Shaido lost their honor? Saying so would have been a poor move on his part, though, so Fonn restrained himself. Instead, he replied, "Look at her. Do you see an Aiel woman there? I certainly don't. I see a wetlander, a wetlander who doesn't know the proper way of things. Those who do not follow ji'e'toh should not be taken gai'shain, you know that as well as I. These, we sell in Shara; we don't press them into service to a belief that isn't their's, no matter how flawed their view may be." Fonn went silent for a moment, allowing his words time to mull about in the man's head. He knew it wouldn't do any good, but he had to try. "Besides, when I let her down, she was so cramped up that she could barely walk, and she had just succeeded in dislocating her shoulder. I didn't think that she'd have enough strength in her to try to escape. Obviously, she's got more strength to her than I knew."

"Obviously," the society leader replied. "Well, since you seem to be so adamant about the way that she's treated, why don't you take her?"

Uh oh... Fonn thought. A gift refused was like a slap in the face to a man's honor. If Fonn refused, the man could kill him or make him gai'shain. If he accepted, then there would be rumors touching his own honor. A sticky situation, to say the least. A look of consternation on his face, Fonn muttered, "I thank you for the gift, Muadin." The other men in the room chuckled; they'd obviously known what was happening.

"You're more than welcome, Fonn. By the way, this gift comes with a catch." Oh, Light, here it comes... "Since you seem to care so much about this one's well-being, she'll no longer be punished for her wrongdoings. Instead, her punishments will be on your shoulders. You'd do well to keep her in line." Fonn sighed heavily. This was not the way he'd wanted his evening to go. "Now, if you could pardon us, we need to discuss Thunder Walker business. Gai'shain, go with your new master." Fonn left the tent quite stiffly.

"You know, you're causing me a lot of trouble," he said to the woman when she'd come out of the tent. "I hope that you'll show the common courtesy to avoid causing more problems for either of us."

Quibby

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

She limped after the man, knowing there was no point in refusing, not at curent moment. listening to what he said "You said it yourself i dont belong here, I got peoples who depend upon me." She left it at that and focused on walking, she was still hungry, it had been a long night and the day bore no promises of beeing any shorter.

"I know what I said, and it's the truth. You don't belong here. Unfortunately, by giving you to me, I cannot do anything to make things easy for you, as it would go against my honor." Fonn felt as if he were trying to explain something as simple as breathing to a child, and it wasn't working too well. "Now, if I let you go, they'll likely take me gai'shain or kill me. Likewise, if you run away, I'll be forced to take your punishment. It's meant to shame you for being unable to take what you deserve to have. Does that not bother you in the least?"

she stoped "I am a captive, how can i be shamed in trying to save myself, to escape, rather oposite, giving up and in, accepting this as you try to...now that would be a great shame."

Shaking his head, Fonn looked at the woman- he refused to acknowledge her as gai'shain in his own mind- and said, "You still don't understand. You're looking at this from a wetlander's point of view. The greatest shame that you can incur upon yourself amongst the Aiel is to fight." Taking a breath, Fonn tried to calm himself. Ji'e'toh did not explain so easily to wetlanders, and becoming irritated wouldn't help him make her understand. "When a man or woman is taken in battle, he or she is made gai'shain. The Shaido believe that this can be applied to wetlanders, but since you don't follow ji'e'toh, they twist it and make you into the same slaves that we sell to the Sharans. There is much honor that a gai'shain can gain by being meek, submissive, and obedient, but you wetlanders have no concept of such things in such a situation." His brow furrowing slightly, Fonn asked, "Is any of this making sense to you?"

"Yes you cant even follow your own customs anymore so why should I belive or trust anything said of any of you, and what kind of honor is there in that" She moved off on ahead not really sure where they where going even but just walking, maybe she should go to her tent.

"You don't understand anything. I tell you this because what you do reflects on my honor, and by fighting, you make me lose ji, honor. If my honor is taken from me, well..." Fonn took a moment to draw the knife on his belt. The dull-colored blade didn't reflect the faint moonlight filtering through the clouds. A blade fit for an Aielman. "If I have no honor left in this life, maybe I'd find honor in the next. I guess you could say that my life's in your hands." Sheathing the knife again, Fonn caught up with the woman. Resting a hand on her shoulder to stop her, he said, "So you see, it's all about honor." The moment past, Fonn said, "You can return to your tent tonight, but I'll be setting up one nearer to mine for you tomorrow."

She cast one last look at him and wandered off, this didnt bode well. Their internal strife was non of her consern, and she didnt see why she should try to understand any more then they did. She needed food, to regain strength, she needed to get out of here now. She had almost succeeded this time, however beeing closer to her new guards tent would not help her odds.

As he watched the woman limping away, a sudden thought struck Fonn. Rushing after her, he stopped her again before she got too far. "One last thing before I leave you be for the night. What do you call yourself? I can't go about just calling you 'woman,' and I refuse to call you gai'shain." Bowing slightly, he introduced himself, "I am Fonn, of the Mura'din."

She watched him quietly without blinking or raising her hand, holding silent for quite a moment, wondering wheter to answer at all. "My mother had to flee last time, so you are wrong i do belong here, you dont!" she ended it with frost in her voice and walked off.

As the woman walked away, Fonn found himself smiling, then chuckling. 'If only she'd been borne Aiel,' he thought, amused. She had everything that it would have taken to be a Maiden. Her mother had been forced to flee? Then she was part-treekiller, as well. No wonder she felt such disdain for the Aiel. Things made so much more sense. Smiling, Fonn turned away from the woman and returned to his tent. Life, it seemed, was about to become so much more interesting

Sirene sat in her tent tearing into the dried meat with her theets, it tasted so nice now, and she gulped down water hungrily. She had been more hungry then she was aware of, she had managed to get hold of some extra as well, now it was a mather of keeping awake and slip away as evening turned into darkness. Leaning back against the tent wall she didnt even notice sleep overtaking her. Darkness had to make place for ligth but even this wasnt noticed, nor the sun creeping high in the sky as she slept deeply, to deeply to even let the sounds of gai'shan walking around outside on their usual work disturb her.

Sirene and Fonn