DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discussion: Day Four

The Harry Potter films are some of the biggest films in History. They provide an alternative route for people to explore the Harry Potter world. Some people dislike the movies whilst others have only seen them and have not read the books. Do you like them? What do you think of the book to film transition? Would you have done it differently?

I enjoy them and think they've done a pretty good job of matching actors with characters.  Yes, as they go on, they don't follow the books as closely (especially b/c the books get so much bigger) but what movie really does?  There's only so much they can do within the time limit/costs.

I'm not so much bothered about the lack of action but the lack of information. I like film three but it fails to explain Animagus, The Marauder's Map, and all about the relationship of Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs, which an extra line could have done!  ;)

I think the movies are great in that they all do a marvelous job is bringing the story alive. For those of us book-readers, even while we're picking the thing apart, we're loving the graphics and the visuals. We know what's coming and yet we grin like loons when Hermione punches Malfoy. "That felt good" doesn't even begin to describe it. For those non-readers, it allows them to enjoy the world Rawlings has created without feeling they've missed anything and brings a new conversation to the table at dinner.

What I don't like are the corners they have to cut to fit the time allotment. The Gryffindors have SOME classes with the Slytherin kids, but not all of them, yet every classroom scene in the movie has Malfoy in it. Did they need the kid to earn his paycheck? The Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs thing was a HUGE issue for me when I saw the 3rd movie. Sure, they showed you that Pedigrew can change shape, even showed you that Sirius does, too, but they never explained why it was such a big deal. I think by not doing that, they've missed the opportunity for Harry to understand why Sirius loves him and why Lupin is so devoted to his friends. It also left a gap for Harry to jump over in understanding what a troublemaker his Dad was and why the shape of his patronus was what it was. You also lose out on those little subtle hints about why Snape really isn't happy about having to protect Harry. I'm sorry but, "oh, we didn't get along in school" doesn't cut it for me! So, later, when Harry learns EXACTLY what a pain his Dad was, will it be more difficult for him to understand?

All of that could've been easily begun if they'd just mentioned why Lupin knew how to make the map disappear when no one told him. C'mon, even I could add that dialogue without changing the script, too much.

Harry: "Um, Professor, how did you know to do that?"

Lupin: "Easy, dear boy, who do you think Mooney is?"

BOOM, done! Two lines and you wouldn't have had to pay either actor another penny to throw it in.

*steps off her soap box and takes a deep breath*

hmm, to be honest all the movies so far have been "meh" to me. They are defiantly worth seeing but as Lor points out the books are so much more captivating. In movie 5 they leave out sooooooo much stuff. None of it is horribly important, but I really wanted to see the howler yell "Remember my last Petunia!". A bunch of other things like Cho beign the one to rat people out because of Vertisim, instead of her friend willingly.

I couldn't have said it better Lor, that was what really bugged me about the 3rd film too. I so wanting them to explain the patronus and the map, and yet nothing. Saying that I did enjoy the films as they were, but it was small things like this that niggle me.

Vemy, I really wanted that to happen to, I was watching that bit waiting for all the owls to turn up one by one, but alas they didn't. I don't think they explained about the squib (her name escapes whilst I write), there was no explaination there at.

The books are better.  Definitely.  I agree on the animagus thing.  No mention at all about Rita Skeeter being an (unregistered) animagus or what her form was! 

I've seen them all now, and I agree about the stuff changed and left out. It often doesn't make sense to me what they keep, what they cut, and what they change. In the fifth one, Umbridge's prejudice against the nonhumans is almost not there. I wanted to see Firenze.  :(

The movies are good entertainment as movies, but they are no substitute for the books. (And I am so getting DH one minute after midnight Friday night.)

I've always preferred books to movies, and the HP franchise is no different for me.  The movies leave out important information and plot points.  You do not get to know the characters as well in the movies as in the books.  That said, though, I still love the movies, even though I love the books more.  I was especially pleased with the casting of Snape, Molly Weasley, and Hagrid.  :)

Yes, the casting has been extraordinarily good, IMHO. I was heartbroken when Richard Harris died. His voice is still the one I hear in my head when I read Dumbledore in the books.

However, I think that they didn't make Umbridge repulsive enough. Could they not have made her up to look a little more toadlike?

But everyone else has been spot on.  :)

I like watching the movies so I can see what someone else thinks it should all look and sound like, and whether I agree. I think they've done an amazing job of casting these movies and also the set design. Everything looks almost exactly how I pictured it.

Archived