DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Leash Swapping

Wayfarer

Standing at attention, Chali was only vaguely aware of what was around her.  They were at a practice field, the same on that her owner, Mistress Ikena, brought her to in order to exercise her power.  She had been Mistress Ikena's damane for awhile now, though Chali could not have said how long it had been.  Days were fleeting things, experienced but rarely remembered because she was not required to remember them.  She was meant to remember what things that Mistress Ikena wished of her and when asked, to duplicate things that she knew.

She did remember being handed over to one or two other people briefly and being commanded to perform a variety of weaves.  Their faces and names were irrelevant though, so as soon as the leash had been handed back to her owner, they may as well have not existed at all.  Much like the woman that was being handed her leash now.  Taller than her, she had green eyes like her but her red and gold hair was different to Chali's black bob.  Not that Chali identified these individual things, she simply saw the woman as one whole being that only stood out because she was now putting on the a'dam.

Hearing a question, Chali responded tonelessly.  "I am Chali."  A few moments later, she was asked to begin demonstrating her capabilities.  Immediately lashing out with the power, targets that had been set up on the field were destroyed in imaginative ways one after the other.  One dummy burst into flames, another one was doused in water which was then frozen before a fist of air smashed the ice into pieces with the dummy breaking alongside it.  Another swallowed by earth, lightning flashed and even a snowball took form and found a target as she worked without feeling, only the purpose of serving guiding her.

Chali

Damane

OOC:  Chali's a bit 'damaged' as far as Damane go.  Her bio is at http://sertorius.wordpress.com/2007/07/13/chali/.  Assume that Ikena has invited your character over after meeting to test her damane for a bit of fun and whatnot, maybe even to get her take on Chali's complete pit where her emotions should be.  She'll join us when she has the chance.

The sul'dam gave a delightful clap once Chali was finished and patted the damane's head. She was only an inch taller than Chali, being short herself, but Chali was big and muscular compared to her petite, thin form. "Good job, Chali. I am Sephera. Your sul'dam has lent you to me this afternoon. Now that I've seen what you can do, let's go for a walk. I love the islands here."

Sephera lead her out of the training field and stopped for a moment to have her name recorded that she was taking Chali out for a walk. Damane were very carefully kept track of, after all. Thanking the guards she uncoiled most of the leash from her hand and walked out onto the beach nearby, enjoying the smell of the ocean. "This reminds me of home--do you know where Imfaral is? That is where I grew up. It's in the north of Seanchan. I suppose you wouldn't know, of course."

She turned and faced the damane, looking her over. Sephera's own green eyes were of a soft shade, and her right eye was smaller than her left. It didn't look deformed, no, it just looked as if both eyes should be small, or both big. It gave Sephera a very distinctive look. "You're a pretty damane, but you must grow out your hair. Such shortness doesn't compliment your face." She reached over and brushed a hand through her hair. "And with some oil we can straighten it up, too. Doesn't your sul'dam ever enter you in the beauty contests?" Sephera was known to doll-up damane and make them look pretty. She believed it helped with their performance, if they felt they looked nice.

Following as she was led, Chali was without feeling as to her new circumstance.  She simply obeyed the leash as she was taught to, her new Mistress taking her from firm ground to the formless sand that her feet barely sunk into.  Every step taking her further onto the white sands, there only an acknowledgement for what surrounded her and the roll of the ocean upon the shore as each new weave broke and reached towards them only to fall short and withdraw even as the next wave crashed in.  The smell of salt was overwhelming, carried by a sea breeze that swept across the seas and over them in gusts that seemed to follow every wave.

The words spoken by her Mistress were important yet at the same time inconsequential.  She knew of Imfaral, though why she could not recall and neither did it matter.  Such matters quickly departed from her mind even as she processed the new words that were spoken by her Mistress.  She was pretty, but had to grow her hair.  Oil to straighten.  Beauty contests.  Only important if her Mistress believed them to be important, for they had no importance or value in themselves.  Only service held that distinction within her mind.  "No, Mistress Sephera."

Chali

Damane

• 2 months later...

She had never grown used to lending Chali out.  That her damane was so completely obedient was taken as a great compliment to her training, but once you help the least it was easy to see where the personality should have been.  In that, Ikena knew, was her failure.  She had tried different things to waken the buried personality within the damane, but nothing had come so far.

Still, Sephera seemed to be a nice enough lady and perhaps a change of pace and leash holder would give Chali a fresh mind.  So she was walking into the training grounds to where the other sul'dam sat with her Chali.  She heard the words as she came closer, words of beauty catching her ear.  Beauty contests?  Oh her Chali was pretty enough, but those things were wastes of time in Ikena's opinion.  She made sure Chali was well cared for, her clothing the finest cut and her appearance was pleasing at all times.  It made her smile though to hear someone talk to Chali like that. 

"Would you like to have your face painted Chali?"  Ikena asked, not certain how the damane would answer, nor what the other sul'dam would think of her joining them in the practice field this early.

Ikena