DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why I think that Alviarin eats pigeon for dinner

cloglord

1:Elaida does not know where Tenobia is, despite the fact that she is traveling in the company of 13 aes sedai.

That could be taken just as easily as proof that the thirteen with her are Black, and therefore, no messages were ever sent to Elaida for the Black to intercept.

1:Elaida does not know where Tenobia is' date=' despite the fact that she is traveling in the company of 13 aes sedai. [/quote']

That could be taken just as easily as proof that the thirteen with her are Black, and therefore, no messages were ever sent to Elaida for the Black to intercept.

Or (though I'm not sure that I disagree that these sisters are Black Ajah) it could just be that stupid Aes Sedai custom of never telling each other anything rearing its head again.

Seriously, that non-interference custom has caused more trouble than anything other than the Dark One himself!

Cloglord - I still agree that it is at least reasonable to assume that the Black Ajah could have someone reading messages that come into the Tower.

Which was going to be my next point, for the "So What?" crowd. Here we have a clear example of 4 experienced borderlander rulers, who fully expect to be ratted out by the 13 aes sedai with them, and they are clearly not being ratted out. Either way you look at it, BA interception or direct BA involvement, it suggests that the BA has its hands in the situation, and has specific outcomes that it is looking for.

I think i've detected a pattern of how the information is and isn't being communicated, and I think that the control of information has been one of the greatest tools of the BA. If the BA is controlling the info on this regard, it suggests that its important.

• 7 years later...

I think i've detected a pattern of how the information is and isn't being communicated, and I think that the control of information has been one of the greatest tools of the BA. If the BA is controlling the info on this regard, it suggests that its important.

I think Cloglord makes a compelling point from the perspective of the politics of power or the game of houses. The ability to control information--its collection, ownership, dissemination (to whom, when and how), suppression and disappearance--cannot be understated as one of the most valuable (perhaps arguably THE most valuable) tools available in power struggles.

Consider the example of the information regarding the escape of Taim. In regards to the truth surrounding his escape, whether it was in part orchestrated by the BA, I never decided conclusively. Either way, the BA reaped benefits from their management of this information. At the very least, the BA (perhaps along with other Suian detractors) cast aspersions on Suian by insinuating her involvement with Taim's escape, thereby contributing to her fall.

Prior to Taim's escape, Moi was warned by Joiya in Tear that there would be an attempt. Moi immediately sent three separate pigeons carrying this warning to Suian in TV, none of which Suian received. Undoubtedly, it served BA interests to stop those messages from reaching Suian. First, if Taim's escape was part of a BA plot, Suian lost any chance she might have had to thwart his escape.

Second, in losing an opportunity to attempt to stop Taim's escape, Suian also lost her strongest avenue of plausible deniability against the charge that she abetted his escape. In addition, Suian lost an opportunity to potentially win the goodwill in the Hall and with other AS that typically accompanies a leader who must order a defensive action, especially if said action is successful.

Last, even if Suian failed to act on Moi's warning, the message itself could have provided proof against Suian's accusers (who also implicated Moi) to show that at least one of their charges was almost certainly false. Although it is highly unlikely that any proof of defense would have been considered before the tower broke, it might have seeded doubts about the legitimacy of Suian's removal and Elaida's rise, into WT loyalists when cooler heads prevailed.

I have used the example of pigeon messages regarding Taim's intended escape to illustrate the a few of the advantages that a party can obtain by controlling information. Before the re-discovery of traveling and dreaming, Randlanders had two methods of communicating information over distances: pigeons and messanger persons. Pigeons were clearly superior in terms of time, cost and safety. Given that, it is likely that pigeons were the preferred method of delivering information. The inherent power vested in controlling information would likely make hijacking pigeons an enticing proposition for any subversive organization,like the BA. However, for that same reason, those in power would have incentive to protect their pigeons. I think the BA advantage here would lie in their anonymity, their overwhelming number and their immersion into all levels of WT hierarchy.

The BA would more than likely try to intercept pigeons if they could, its also possible the one was late because it was intercepted, the message read, and then sent on its way.  But without knowing it could also be a pigeon or two met an unfortunate end to a predators. natural causes, or as you posted the weather.

Archived