DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

No China? No way!

And we know who's fault that is. *looks*

Though it doesn't amaze anyone that we're blocked? I mean, come on, we're a book discussion site! What does the Chinese government have against Robert Jordan?

Stop looking at me... ><

If that page of links are also blocked' date=' that's like almost half the intrawebz... lol. Google, Live Journal, My Space, You Tube, Wikipedia, CNN etc...[/quote']

Yeah, think about it... International news sites, blogging tools, Wikipedia...These aren't just blocked, they don't exist for the Chinese.

Has anyone tried using Chinese Google yet? Look up Tiananmen Square Square on www.google.cn and see the different between that and www.google.com

There's so much censorship in China, it's infuriating for the average Westerner. I lived there for a yr, and the newspapers were so anti-West, and yet loving to learneth the English at the same time. :roll:

My phone was tapped, and I'm glad I didnt have internet in my apt. At the iCafe, it's much harder to filter the emails, but I still had to be careful of my language when I wrote home.

Interestingly, when I returned, I couldnt watch MTV for almost 6 months. (Not that I watch it a lot anyway.) But, it's the whole 'showing skin' factor. There's NONE of that on TV in China. (And no Buffy, Star Trek, etc.) But, you know what is on TV? MEXICAN SOAP OPERAS dubbed over in Chinese. :shock: I have no clue, so dont ask.

There are explanations for some of those sites tho.

Google, Myspace, Microsoft, Wikipedia etc have special websites that can be accessed from China (they have severe content restrictions tho).

For some odd reason people traveling abroad can access restriced sites (So like I went and accessed the NRA website ^_^ from my lappy and could connect but could not from a local machine.

I'll test some more when I go back this summer.

Archived