DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[White Ajah Middle Earth Event] Field Trip and Discussion

thehumantrashcan

Welcome one and all to the Middle Earth Field Trip and Discussion.

I encourage you to find a comfortable place to sit as we begin our discussion at where J.R.R. Tolkien's two most famous stories began

The Shire,

A70F48A.jpg

Here I'd love discuss your favorite things about the Shire; who were your favorite Hobbit families?  What's your favorite bit about shire history?

To start I have to say the one Hobbit family that makes me laugh the most are the Longbottoms.  Seriously, how did they get their name?  Was it because they have one of those butts that just doesn't exist, their back just melds into their legs?  I used to think maybe they rode around in long bottom boats or something but most every self respecting Hobbit hates the water and finds it unnecessarily dangerous.

I would guess it is geographically generated. They may have lived "along the bottom" of the hill or a fall or sommat.

Does that mean Neville's great-great-etc... Was a hobbit?

Who doesn't like the Proudfeet?

And doesn't snicker when hearing about the Bracegirdles?

• RP - LEGACY

I've always felt drawn to the Hobbits in that they liked growing things and their homes were in the earth.

Someday, I will have my own home where I can have a garden, and a round window. I can dream.

I think for the adventurous side of hobbits, I've got a thing for the Tooks.

Gotta go with the Bagginses; you never know what they have in their pockets. That Sackville branch of the family, though...gotta keep and eye on them. :dry: I like the houses underground. They're not in a wet, nasty hole, nor in a dry sandy hole; they're in hobbit-holes, and that means comfort. :smile: I really like the way they were portrayed in the movies, and I really like this kayaker's hobbit van (Hobbity stuff starts around 55 seconds):

Edited by Gentled Ben

I've always felt drawn to the Hobbits in that they liked growing things and their homes were in the earth.

Someday, I will have my own home where I can have a garden, and a round window. I can dream.

I have felt really drawn to the Elves.

Edited by Ryrin

Yeah, the elves were my favorite, too. I really liked Galadriel. I don't think Cate Blanchett was the right actress to cast for the role because she doesn't look and "feel" right to me, but her acting was satisfactory. Anyway, Galadriel was my favorite elf in the books, and I thought it was neat that Gimli had a crush on her. 

Yeah, the elves were my favorite, too. I really liked Galadriel. I don't think Cate Blanchett was the right actress to cast for the role because she doesn't look and "feel" right to me, but her acting was satisfactory. Anyway, Galadriel was my favorite elf in the books, and I thought it was neat that Gimli had a crush on her. 

Who do you think might have been better? Older or younger? At first I wasn't sure but thinking back about Galadriel (who is a total BA) I think she was a good choice. 

Galadriel was considered one of the most beautiful elves to ever live. She was chased by Feanor in the time of the trees. There is a rumour that He asked her for a lock of her hair and that it was to be incorporated into the Silmarils. The story goes he asked 3 times and that is part of why she gave Gimli three locks. 

Galadriel was considered one of the most beautiful elves to ever live. She was chased by Feanor in the time of the trees. There is a rumour that He asked her for a lock of her hair and that it was to be incorporated into the Silmarils. The story goes he asked 3 times and that is part of why she gave Gimli three locks. 

I've always been torn about the Galadriel/Celebron line, it just never felt fully flushed out to me. She has the potential for a redemption arc (which she pursues) but the LotR audience never gets enough of the back story to know why all the elves in Lorien are sad. 

I like Fingolfin for his rescue of Meadhos (of all the feanorian sons, Meadhos is my favourite; before the third kinslaying he half-argues against it, but is persuaded by the evilness inherient in their oath), and for his attempt to unify the Eldar against Melkor; the reason why the Battle of Unnumbered Tears is so sad is that they almost won, but were betrayed by men and nearly utterly destroyed. 

Ecthelion of the Fountian is also cool, if for no other reason than he was able to take down the captian of the balrogs in single combat.

Compared to them, while long lived, Galadrial seems like she just kinda snuck away to live out her life, with Celebron in some sort of conflict-free utopia.

Galadriel is complicated and it is one of the things I like about her. Also that there is some mystery about her and in the books her possible previous relationships with the wizards. Lothlorien was in no small part about protecting the surrounding area and also themselves. That they survived as long as they did in the shadow of Dol Guldur is a testament to Her commitment and skill. As well as to the power of the elvish rings. 

Fingolfin was always my favourite elf. I wanted to use his name for my handle here but it was already taken. He was basically a Paladin Elf. His battle with Morgoth was epic. amazingly sad but epic. 

The fall of Gondolin was also pretty epic as far as heroism goes. Again also amazingly sad. Silmarillion is just so  full of awesome. 

• Elgee locked this topic