DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Ajah History Week - Past Lives Pavilion

blank

Welcome to the Past Lives Pavilion!

09ecea6d1fef0f5111ee779404e590e7--illumi

Psst you, yeah you! Take a break from all that fighting and step inside...

I can tell you who you used to be in a past life. 

Focus very hard on the numbers between 1-50 and tell me what one speaks to you most. 

I'll look into my crystal ball and reveal your past life!!

New-Fantasy-Magic-Dragons-Pewter-Dragon-

FORTUNES CLAIMED: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 18, 23, 27, 30, 42, 48, 50

*DISCLAIMER* I know that past lives are part of some people's beliefs and or religions and  this thread is not meant to belittle that in the slightest. It's just a fun way to trick you into learning about the middles ages. ALSO the past life "fortunes" given out are notable people from the Late Middle Ages, some of whom are terrible people. All fortunes have already been assigned to the numbers. If you're given one you don't like it is not personal to you in the slightest and please feel free to get another one til you get one you do like!

Edited by blank

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oooh my first visitor, welcome stranger, welcome!

23? Oh my! Such a vibrant number, such an interesting life you led!

Catherine de' Medici 13 April 1519 – 5 January 1589)

daughter of Lorenzo II de' Medici and of Madeleine de La Tour d'Auvergne, was an Italian noblewoman who was Queen of France from 1547 until 1559, as the wife of King Henry II. As the mother of three sons who became kings of France during her lifetime, she had extensive, if at times varying, influence in the political life of France. For a time, she ruled France as its regent.

In 1533, at the age of fourteen, Catherine married Henry, second son of King Francis I and Queen Claude of France. Throughout his reign, Henry excluded Catherine from participating in state affairs and instead showered favours on his chief mistress, Diane de Poitiers, who wielded much influence over him. Henry's death thrust Catherine into the political arena as mother of the frail fifteen-year-old King Francis II. When he died in 1560, she became regent on behalf of her ten-year-old son King Charles IX and was granted sweeping powers. After Charles died in 1574, Catherine played a key role in the reign of her third son, Henry III. He dispensed with her advice only in the last months of her life.

Catherine's three sons reigned in an age of almost constant civil and religious war in France. The problems facing the monarchy were complex and daunting but Catherine was able to keep the monarchy and the state institutions functioning even at a minimum level.

Despite some harsh policies and excessive religious persecutions, without Catherine, it is unlikely that her sons would have remained in power. The years in which they reigned have been called "the age of Catherine de' Medici". According one of her biographers, Catherine was the most powerful woman in sixteenth-century Europe.

Edited by blank

Awesome! I had a coworker once who spent a year or two in Florence working odd jobs and being a travelling hippie bum, and he said that there are still tons and tons of buildings there with the Medici family crest engraved in the stonework. I'm also descended from Huguenots who fled to Scotland in the late 1500's, so this actually ties in somewhat with my real *cough* I mean, current life. I'm glad I chose that number. :smile:

Awesome! I had a coworker once who spent a year or two in Florence working odd jobs and being a travelling hippie bum, and he said that there are still tons and tons of buildings there with the Medici family crest engraved in the stonework. I'm also descended from Huguenots who fled to Scotland in the late 1500's, so this actually ties in somewhat with my real *cough* I mean, current life. I'm glad I chose that number. :smile:

That's awesome, I've heard of the Medici family before but somehow I had no clue about Catherine, I loved doing research about her and a biography about her and her daughter is currently sitting in my amazon basket!

I also can't believe the how it coincides with your ancestry that's super cool! 

Feel free to choose another number at some point...I have lots of research to share, 28 pages of it to be precise!

That's awesome, I've heard of the Medici family before but somehow I had no clue about Catherine, I loved doing research about her and a biography about her and her daughter is currently sitting in my amazon basket!

I also can't believe the how it coincides with your ancestry that's super cool! 

Feel free to choose another number at some point...I have lots of research to share, 28 pages of it to be precise!

I was pleasantly surprised, myself. :smile:

I'll pick again after it looks like the thread has wound down.

Welcome seeker of the truth!

Let me think on your number and take a look in my crystal ball...Wow. Just wow. What an astounding life you led. 

William Shakespeare - (26 April 1564 (baptised) – 23 April 1616) was an English poet, playwright, and actor, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet, and the "Bard of Avon".His extant works, including collaborations, consist of approximately 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and a few other verses, some of uncertain authorship. His plays have been translated into every major living language and are performed more often than those of any other playwright.

Shakespeare was born and brought up in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire. At the age of 18, he married Anne Hathaway, with whom he had three children: Susanna, and twins Hamnet and Judith. Sometime between 1585 and 1592, he began a successful career in London as an actor, writer, and part-owner of a playing company called the Lord Chamberlain's Men, later known as the King's Men. He appears to have retired to Stratford around 1613, at age 49, where he died three years later. Few records of Shakespeare's private life survive, which has stimulated considerable speculation about such matters as his physical appearance, sexuality, religious beliefs, and whether the works attributed to him were written by others.

Shakespeare produced most of his known work between 1589 and 1613. His early plays were primarily comedies and histories, which are regarded as some of the best work ever produced in these genres. He then wrote mainly tragedies until about 1608, including Hamlet, Othello, King Lear, and Macbeth, considered some of the finest works in the English language. In his last phase, he wrote tragicomedies, also known as romances, and collaborated with other playwrights.

In the 20th and 21st centuries, his works have been repeatedly adapted and rediscovered by new movements in scholarship and performance. His plays remain highly popular and are constantly studied, performed, and reinterpreted in diverse cultural and political contexts throughout the world.

I was pleasantly surprised, myself. :smile:

I'll pick again after it looks like the thread has wound down.

Well keep reading, I've got some really cool people to tell everyone about  :laugh:

The magical and mystical Blank has to meditate on your answers and this is a long and arduous process.

I cannot say precisely when the answers will come to me but I reckon it will be very close to 10pm GMT time. Coincidentally that'll be the first time I get back in my house today!

Edited by blank

Wow, you've had a very busy past JB! 

Let me reveal to you, one of your past lives....

You were James VI of Scotland. Who then later became James I from the union of the Scottish and English crown on 24th of March 1603 to his death. (James Charles Stuart; 19 June 1566 – 27 March 1625). The kingdoms of Scotland and England were individual sovereign states, with their own parliaments, judiciary, and laws, though both were ruled by James in personal union.

James was the son of Mary, Queen of Scots, and a great-great-grandson of Henry VII, King of England and Lord of Ireland, positioning him to eventually accede to all three thrones. James succeeded to the Scottish throne at the age of thirteen months, after his mother Mary was compelled to abdicate in his favour. In 1603, he succeeded the last Tudor monarch of England and Ireland, Elizabeth I, who died without issue. He continued to reign in all three kingdoms for 22 years, a period known after him as the Jacobean era, until his death in 1625 at the age of 58.

At 57 years and 246 days, James's reign in Scotland was longer than those of any of his predecessors. He achieved most of his aims in Scotland but faced great difficulties in England, including the Gunpowder Plot in 1605 and repeated conflicts with the English Parliament. Under James, the "Golden Age" of Elizabethan literature and drama continued, with writers such as William Shakespeare, John Donne, Ben Jonson, and Sir Francis Bacon contributing to a flourishing literary culture. James himself was a talented scholar, the author of works such as Daemonologie (1597), The True Law of Free Monarchies (1598), and Basilikon Doron (1599). He sponsored the translation of the Bible into English that would later be named after him: the Authorised King James Version. He was strongly committed to a peace policy, and tried to avoid involvement in religious wars, especially the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648) that devastated Germany and much of Central Europe. He tried but failed to prevent the rise of hawkish elements in the English Parliament who wanted war with Spain.

James, how fitting!

Hmmm I meditated long and hard on this one and finally the truth was revealed to me!

You were....

Filippo Brunelleschi (1377 – April 15, 1446) was an Italian designer and a key figure in architecture, recognised to be the first modern engineer, planner and sole construction supervisor. He was one of the founding fathers of the Renaissance. He is generally well known for developing a technique for linear perspective in art and for building the dome of the Florence Cathedral. Heavily dependent on mirrors and geometry, to "reinforce Christian spiritual reality", his formulation of linear perspective governed pictorial depiction of space until the late 19th century. It also had the most profound – and quite unanticipated – influence on the rise of modern science. His accomplishments also include other architectural works, sculpture, mathematics, engineering, and ship design. His principal surviving works are to be found in Florence, Italy. Unfortunately, his two original linear perspective panels have been lost.

Brunelleschi's body lies in the crypt of the Cathedral of Florence. As explained by Antonio Manetti, who knew Brunelleschi and who wrote his biography, Brunelleschi "was granted such honors as to be buried in the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore, and with a marble bust, which was said to be carved from life, and placed there in perpetual memory with such a splendid epitaph." Inside the cathedral entrance is this epitaph: "Both the magnificent dome of this famous church and many other devices invented by Filippo the architect, bear witness to his superb skill. Therefore, in tribute to his exceptional talents, a grateful country that will always remember him buries him here in the soil below."

13 for me, when you have the moment

Well, the moment is now and it has been revealed to me that you have the most illustrious past!

You were...

Durante degli Alighieri simply called Dante (c. 1265 – 1321), was a major Italian poet of the Late Middle Ages. His Divine Comedy is widely considered the greatest literary work composed in the Italian language and a masterpiece of world literature. It has been referred to as the greatest poem of the Middle Ages.

In the late Middle Ages, the overwhelming majority of poetry was written in Latin, and therefore accessible only to affluent and educated audiences. In De vulgari eloquentia (On Eloquence in the Vernacular), however, Dante defended use of the vernacular in literature. He himself would even write in the Tuscan dialect for works such as The New Life (1295) and the aforementioned Divine Comedy; this choice, although highly unorthodox, set a hugely important precedent that later Italian writers such as Petrarch and Boccaccio would follow. As a result, Dante played an instrumental role in establishing the national language of Italy. Dante's significance also extends past his home country; his depictions of Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven have provided inspiration for a large body of Western art, and are cited as an influence on the works of John Milton, Geoffrey Chaucer and Alfred Tennyson, among many others. In addition, the first use of the interlocking three-line rhyme scheme, or the terza rima, is attributed to him.

Dante has been called "the Father of the Italian language" and one of the greatest poets of world literature. In Italy, Dante is often referred to as il Sommo Poeta ("the Supreme Poet") and il Poeta; he, Petrarch, and Boccaccio are also called "the three fountains" or "the three crowns".

Wow, what a colourful and controversial past you have Sooh!

Martin Luther (10 November 1483 – 18 February 1546), O.S.A., was a German professor of theology, composer, priest, monk and a seminal figure in the Protestant Reformation.

Luther came to reject several teachings and practices of the Roman Catholic Church. He strongly disputed the Catholic view on indulgences as he understood it to be, that freedom from God's punishment for sin could be purchased with money. Luther proposed an academic discussion of the practice and efficacy of indulgences in his Ninety-five Theses of 1517. His refusal to renounce all of his writings at the demand of Pope Leo X in 1520 and the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V at the Diet of Worms in 1521 resulted in his excommunication by the Pope and condemnation as an outlaw by the Emperor.

Luther taught that salvation and, consequently, eternal life are not earned by good deeds but are received only as the free gift of God's grace through the believer's faith in Jesus Christ as redeemer from sin. His theology challenged the authority and office of the Pope by teaching that the Bible is the only source of divinely revealed knowledge from God. Those who identify with these, and all of Luther's wider teachings, are called Lutherans, though Luther insisted on Christian or Evangelical as the only acceptable names for individuals who professed Christ.

His translation of the Bible into the vernacular (instead of Latin) made it more accessible to the laity, an event that had a tremendous impact on both the church and German culture. It fostered the development of a standard version of the German language, added several principles to the art of translation, and influenced the writing of an English translation. His marriage to Katharina von Bora, a former nun, set a model for the practice of clerical marriage, allowing Protestant clergy to marry.

In two of his later works, Luther expressed antagonistic views towards Jews, writing that Jewish homes and synagogues should be destroyed, their money confiscated, and liberty curtailed. Condemned by virtually every Lutheran denomination, these statements and their influence on antisemitism have contributed to his controversial status.

You are much less of a controversial figure here Sooh! Feel free to pick another number, this guy has some terrible parts :laugh: 

Wow, the answer has come to me and it could not possibly link more into this events theme  :laugh:

Leonardo Bruni (c. 1370 – March 9, 1444) was an Italian humanist, historian and statesman, often recognized as the most important humanist historian of the early Renaissance. He has been called the first modern historian. He was the earliest person to write using the three-period view of history: Antiquity, Middle Ages, and Modern. The dates Bruni used to define the periods are not exactly what modern historians use today, but he laid the conceptual groundwork for a tripartite division of history. Bruni's most notable work is Historiarum Florentini populi libri XII (History of the Florentine People, 12 Books), which has been called the first modern history book.

The first modern Historian? Love it!