A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The First Day

LedZepMan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So how goes the quit? If you fell off, when will you get back on the wagon? What will you do differently? The key, as simple as it may seem, is to not smoke. When confronted with the opportunity to have a cigarette, the acronym NOPE might be helpful. It stands for Not One Puff Ever. If you did fall off, it was when you smoked that one cigarette after breaking the physical addiction at 3 days nicotine-free. When you get back on track, do not smoke again, not at all, not one puff, ever. That is a simplistic version of how I went from 1 1/2 packs of Marlboro Reds per day for roughly 28 years to no cigarettes at all ever for the last 11 years and 5 months.

I used the patch to wean off, and I took advantage of Quitline and Quitnet as well as talking with others in my personal life who had quit (and in one instance, calling one of them in the middle of the day to talk me down out of my "OMG I need just one, just ONE cigarette right now no matter what!" tree about 2 1/2 weeks into the quit), and no matter what, I didn't take a puff. I used a tool called the 4 D's, and I found (and still find, on the extremely rare occasions that I entertain the thought of smoking) that they were most useful and effective. They are (in no particular order): Drink water (self-explanatory), Delay (a mind game to be played with oneself: I will have a smoke after I finish emptying the dishwasher, then once that's accomplished, if you still really want to smoke, have one after you go for a walk, etc) which works well in conjunction with Distract: (all those things you are going to do before having a smoke in the delay technique), and finally, the one that for me proved most beneficial in the immediate moment: Deep Breaths (again, self-explanatory, but it really helped me in the midst of some insane cravings).

If you have not fallen off, GOOD JOB! Keep it up! How do you feel now?  What has worked most often for you when you have wanted a cigarette? Did you just whiteknuckle your way through it by sheer force of will, or did you play a mental trick on yourself, or did you do some push ups or something instead, or what?

Edited by Gentled Ben

It certainly is lol. I don't need to follow a 12-step program to figure that out. Really, the internet is enough proof of it: People don't try to be good people if there's no responsibility involved.

Yeah I suppose it's kinda obvious. I just quoted that program cause it's the only experience I've every had with trying to kick addictions, since I literally just turned 21 and haven't had any experience with tobacco or alcohol. 

It certainly is lol. I don't need to follow a 12-step program to figure that out. Really, the internet is enough proof of it: People don't try to be good people if there's no responsibility involved.

Yeah I suppose it's kinda obvious. I just quoted that program cause it's the only experience I've every had with trying to kick addictions, since I literally just turned 21 and haven't had any experience with tobacco or alcohol. 

Not even alcohol? I'm 21 as well, but I got quite a bit of experience with alcohol. Not alcohol addiction though.

I have 14 years clean and sober as a result of doing the 12 steps. :smile: