DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gray Ajah Midsummer Event: The Famous Sleuths

E James Todd

1d854479f49ce635025894135f972125.jpg

Good evening, one and all, to the intuitive investigators, tenacious trackers, and perceptive private eyes. Welcome to the Midsummer game "The Famous Sleuths," hosted by the Gray Ajah. The goal of this game is to determine through clues given the identity of a famous detective from literature and television. The scope ranges all the way to the present day, so be sure to bring your thinking caps and your trench coats.

Several bonuses will be awarded based on multitudes of criteria. They include, but need not be limited to:
• City/region of detective's operations
• Notable cases on which the detectives have worked
• Author/co-author of the series

Deducing the correct person will earn you two points. Providing any of the additional details asked for will earn you an extra point apiece. Send your answers to me, and I shall add them to your sleuthing score. As always, the honor system is in place that you won't use Google or similar search engines; try it, and you'll be sleepin' with the fishes, you hear? At the end of the week, the winner shall be declared as Master Sherlock for the game.

Good luck, and may all your deductions be elementary.

BPIs1.png

Edited by E James Todd

For our first person of interest, we have a best-selling author who dabbles in – or rather, gets pulled into – several situations that involve amateur detection. This person cannot drive, and frequently must rely on their bike or public transportation to get around. Their first novel, The Corpse Danced at Midnight, catapulted them to national attention in the United States and soon around the world. Their nephew Grady frequently gets into trouble, but when all is said and done this author-turned-investigator can settle down in their quaint home located in rural New England.

1) Who is this person of interest?

2) What is the name of this person's home town?

3) With which other private investigator has this person of interest cavorted?

For today's second person of interest: we have a former police detective-turned-private investigator who makes a living out of solving cases for the British elite, though their travels sometimes take them to Egypt, Mesopotamia, and the Orient. They are primarily active after the Great War, and have taken up residence in a flat wherein they consort with their secretary and a retired captain of the British Army. They work closely with Scotland Yard and have a certain flair for the dramatic, often deliberately withholding information until all involved parties have gathered. While they may rely on others to provide reconnaissance for some facts, their usual modus operandi is to place themselves inside the mind of the killers and determine the motives by psychological means. Above all, they use their mild-mannered nature and their "little gray cells" to intuit the true criminal behind every case they work.

2) Other than the retired captain, name two other auxiliary characters to this person of interest.

3) In the final novel in which this character makes an appearance, what crime does this person of interest commit?

And as a clue to the first person of interest, here is a quote from them:

"There are three things you can never have enough of in life, Lieutenant: chocolate, friends and the theatre."

Edited by E James Todd

Did you both ever decide on how to differentiate between yourselves as Jameses btw? Is it James B and E James

Or if we're using other nicknames what do we have? I'm surprised AH hasn't got something created.

I shall use my detective skills and leaps of word association to pass the time

E James Todd. Could be Todd. Could be Fox cos Todd is a name that relates to foxes. Could be Captain as in James T

James Brown always makes me want to do the oooooowww! sound. But that's not a name. Still, it feels good :)

Can we have points so far?

At the moment Cross holds the lead at 7, with Ithillian close behind at 6 and James Brown at 4.

To answer your other question, nobody has come up with a good moniker yet to distinguish us.

For our third person of interest: this detective was also a former police officer before their significant other died. They possess an eidetic memory which aids them in solving cases, but are constantly hampered by a litany of phobias, including but not limited to: germs, dentists, sharp or pointed objects, vomiting, death and dead things, snakes, crowds, heights, fear, mushrooms, small spaces, and milk. They have a companion that travels with them at all times, a person who is part nanny, part handler. Despite these limitations and a crippling case of OCD, this person still manages to use their blinding intellect to solve countless cases.

2) In what city does this person normally operate?

3) How does this person's significant other die?

As a clue to the second person of interest, here is a quote from them:

"It is true that I can speak the exact, the idiomatic English. But, my friend, to speak the broken English is an enormous asset. It leads people to despise you. They say – a foreigner – he can't even speak English properly. [...] And so, you see, I put people off their guard."

Better Than doesn't exactly roll off the tongue lol

So James and JB then?

No Jim?

It's worse than that, he's dead Jim!

I was only allowed to stay up late to watch nature documentaries and detective shows. It was a steady diet.

I think it fueled my love of building games.

Edited by Ithillian Turambar

Our fourth person of interest begins their career at the young age of 16 after having just graduated high school. Their first case, The Secret of the Old Clock, was first published in 1930 and there have been myriad adventures with this person of interest ever since. This person has been all over the world, from Nairobi to Austria, Costa Rica to the Alaskan frontier, and never accepts monetary compensation for their work. Strong-willed and compassionate, this individual undertakes many a case to help those in need before taking off in their iconic car for the next adventure.

2) What iconic car does this person own?

3) What pseudonym is used by authors to pen this person's adventures?

And now a clue to the third person of interest:

"Mr. Goodman, I'm sure of two things. One, your cabin is quite lovely. And, two, you were nowhere near it. [...] Your wristwatch. It's set two hours ahead to central time. You haven't been north, you've been east. Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not, you were in Chicago."