DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What Ajah would you be in? (realistically)

Im sure this topic has been posted before. It would be weird if it hadn't been. And I know there's even a SG where people choose an ajah for site purposes, but I assume that that has at least a little RP element to it.

So all role playing aside, and ignoring which Ajah you liked the most from the books, if there were actually a White Tower (and assuming being in a different universe youd have the exact same personality, likes, dislikes, etc) , and of course assuming you could channel, what Ajah do you think you would actually choose? Of course I dont expect any real person so be as stereotypical and cut and dry as any of the Aes Sedai Jordan wrote, but still.

This applies to women and men, even though there were never any ajahs for men. In fact mostly men, since i really wonder if many men who read the books think about how they would fit into a strictly female organization, or if that was just me. 

I think Blues have the best cause (mostly because its vague as hell), and it would be cool to use magic to save the world, but if I was being honest with myself, Id choose Brown. I love learning, I love reading, and I work best solo. Plus you are of an small percentage of the population who can channel the power that causes time and space itself to exist. Not to mention you have a super long life and unrestricted access to any library in the world. Why would you not want to dedicate your life to figuring out what you can do with that power? I know not all browns study the OP, but it doenst make sense that they dont. If you have all those traits i listed, and a thirst for knowledge and love for research, why would you choose to study plants, or what ever else they like to study? Plus no one ever questions a browns intentions, so if i wanted to get away with some Blue type actions now and again, I could get away with it.

I almost would choose White, because I think Im a very logical person, and love philosophy and love a good debate, and hate when people bring emotion into arguments, but the Brown is just the best fit. I also thought the Whites were just the lamest Ajah. They were just logical, and didnt have any ultimate reason for existing, like the browns pursuit of knowledge, or the greys goals of peace and cohabitation, or even the Reds weird goal of protecting the world from dangerous men. 

Edited by Faroresdragn

Grey for sure. I love me some politics and law. I'm big on helping people and seeking justice but I'm not a big fan of violence. I would love to have an opportunity to make a difference in the world. My only questioning of going great would be knowing I had the power to manipulate things and not using it to its fullest like a doctor or guard or fire fighter or something.

Green firstly

could you elaborate on that a little? I never got the point of the Green Ajah to be honest.

I mean they're whole thing is that they're the "battle ajah", and they bond alot of Warders, but the books say so many times that no aes sedai has been involved in battle since the Trolloc wars, and of course theres the whole Oath thing, so the battle ajah didnt seem to do a whole lot of battling, and they placed alot of emphasis on the last battle, which 99.9% of all green ajah members didnt even live to see, so what did they even do to occupy their 300 year lives that was green ajah based? If they were tough and battle-loving I really never understood why every green sister didnt spend 100% of her post shawl life in the Borderlands killing thousands of Trollocs a day. And none of them seemed to ever choose that route, which confused me.

Oh come on,the green ajah is not about battles,that's just the official line,the green ajah is about SEX,however,their captain-general couldn't call her ajah the sex ajah so she found a more appropriate name.

Their motto is we stand ready for the last battle,fortunately,the last battle is still a long way away,so in the meantime,they practice safe...maneuvers.

Haha of course i picked up on the sex bit, but I figured that the battle Ajah thing wasnt complete BS. I mean even as a Brown, if I could channel I'd schedule a few weeks a year to travel to the Borderlands and just vaporize like 3000 Trollocs. 

of course, because so many academics volunteer for the army. It's a dream come true for them. Why bother with research when you can get your ass kicked? That's a typical Brown phylosophy right there.

Working at a university I know this first hand. :wink:

Have you all forgotten the remembrance room the Green Ajah has where all the fallen Greens are honored that hàve gone to the Borderlands to help them hold off the armies of the Dark One?

Just because the books aren't full of battles from the borderlands doesn't mean they didn't happen. They did and there was plenty of mention of them ànd of the Greens participating in them.
And this 'sex' business is precisely what was used to highlight the childish supperficial nature of people. Way to go to prove its validity yet again.

Personally, I would have been a Blue. I'd be a multiple cause Blue as I can't stay focussed on one cause long enough without getting bored.

With a massive Green ànd Red streak.

just a few weeks a year. Even us academics have to stretch our legs every now and then. and with the borderlands constantly having to deal with hordes of demons I couldnt think of a more altruistic way to spend that time. or a more badass one. Id at least try it out once. how could you resist the one opportunity to just go nuts with the OP? its like when youre playing StarWars Battlefront and playing as a soldier, and the game asks "Would you like to play as Obi-wan Kenobi?" Who says no in that situation? Like I said (and like you kinda said), noone in the real world is going to fit one of the Ajahs as perfectly and stereotypically as all the Aes Sedai in the books. 

Like Im sorry but the way the main characters use the OP in the books, it seems like it would be basically impossible to be killed when battling ANYTHING that couldnt also channel, including an entire army of monsters.

And to be honest, I dont remember that remembrance room thing. Like not even a little bit. Im surprised Id forget something like that. Is that mentioned in one of the earlier books?

hopefully my PS2 game metaphor was effective.

Edited by Faroresdragn

I would definitely be Red Ajah. I've always been partial to them, at least since about book 3 or so. Honestly, if saidin were Tainted and I lived in WoT, hell yea I'd be on a mission to capture and gentle every single channeling man I heard of... though, post-taint era, I'd shift the Reds as happened in the books, with perhaps minor tweaking. I wouldn't be able to do the Bond because of severe trust issues, but I feel like it is up to the White Tower as an organization to reach out to men to join their ranks once the Taint is cleansed. I mean they certainly have enough ROOM in the Tower to do so; more than enough! Honestly, the White Tower has that responsibility to the world. I don't agree with the way RJ wrote the WT at all--as incompetent and more closed up than involved in the world. Like half the AS population or more should have been out in the world DOING things, but beyond Moiraine and some advisors, and Adeleas and Vandene, we never hear of anything the other sisters were doing. Of course, I understand that story-wise, we probably just didn't know what they did, but still... Green Ajah I agree should have been working in the Borderlands the entire time. Reds should have been all over Randland doing their thing, and Blues and Yellows too. Grays pretty much already are doing that. Whites and Browns, well, they're already in the Knowledge Capitol of Randland, but I feel they also could have been educators in major cities.

All that said, White or Brown would have been my next choices. Because yes to knowledge and books. As it is, I already RP my Red Ajah character as being extremely interested in the cosmos and spending time in the library, as well as trying to write her own book to put into said library. :)

Speaking of RP, to make anything even remotely interesting for Aes Sedai (and Warder) haracters, they really need to get out there in Randland and solve problems. Staying in the WT is boring and uninspiring.

Edited by Jagen Sedai

yeah that was the one big flaw in the brown/white. "lets dedicate our lives to the pursuit of knowledge, but then not share it with anyone (other than the white tower)". I always wondered why there were not like Brown Aes Sedai centers of learning at least in the major cities.

Like youd think at least the philosophical whites would realize the value of sharing knowledge with the world, but I guess Aes Sedai stuck-up-ness trumps all other character traits.

To be fair, when you read about scholars in our world like Isaac Newton, you realize how much he didn't want to share his knowledge. Many didn't, and many scientists still don't, because they want to be the first with some credit to their work. Speaking of Newton, up until the day he died he refused to acknowledge contributions from his hated rival, Robert Hooke, who helped Newton think about gravitational motion in a new way.

• 3 weeks later...

Although I'd love to say I'd be a green or a blue, I'd be brown or white. I am a read-aholic who read this entire series four times in a year, (and it was an off-year for reading) but my true passion is math, which is why I think I'd be white. I love logic puzzles, and will repeatedly return to some problem despite dismissing it several times.

I have spent maybe too much time thinking about this. I'm not sure why given it's lack of practical impact on my life >_<.

I think realistically I would end up White.

I'm a software developer so in RL I've obviously chosen to focus my career on math and logics. I am also the type of person that tend to think through information from a rationalists point of view and actually looks at studies and replications when I'm trying to determine If there is efficacy to some purported cause and effect.

I also however have a strong passion for philosophy, law and politics and think I'm fairly good at mediating situations and compromising. So the Grey could make sense.

When I was younger i wanted to be a doctor so that i could help people get better so the yellow sort of calls to me to.

So, In real life i choose white but in the tower if white and grey were both an option it may come down to the people I'd have to associate with when I got to the point of having to choose.

That being said if I had any strong talent for healing I would ethically feel compelled toward the Yellow because I would feel as though I might be doing harm by not focusing a talent for healing in that direction.

Green firstly

could you elaborate on that a little? I never got the point of the Green Ajah to be honest.

I mean they're whole thing is that they're the "battle ajah", and they bond alot of Warders, but the books say so many times that no aes sedai has been involved in battle since the Trolloc wars, and of course theres the whole Oath thing, so the battle ajah didnt seem to do a whole lot of battling, and they placed alot of emphasis on the last battle, which 99.9% of all green ajah members didnt even live to see, so what did they even do to occupy their 300 year lives that was green ajah based? If they were tough and battle-loving I really never understood why every green sister didnt spend 100% of her post shawl life in the Borderlands killing thousands of Trollocs a day. And none of them seemed to ever choose that route, which confused me.

...to be a Green means to stand ready. In the Trolloc Wars, we were often called the Battle Ajah. All Aes Sedai helped where and when they could, but the Green Ajah alone was always with the armies, in almost every battle. We were the counter to the Dreadlords. The Battle Ajah. And now we stand ready, for the Trollocs to come south again, for Tarmon Gai'don, the Last Battle. We will be there. That is what it means to be a Green.

Alanna Mosvani

"During the Trolloc Wars, the Greens were the counterpart of the Dreadlords, and the battles between the two were climactic enough to destroy many from either side. Ancient Green sisters were renowned for their bravery and skill in battle, and Dreadlords and Shadowspawn alike learned quickly to fear them.

In the last millennium the Green Ajah was able to elect seven Amyrlin Seats coming from its ranks, in this achievement the Ajah was third after the Blue (eleven Amyrlins) and the Grey (nine Amyrlins). Very recently, after the Last Battle, another Green, Cadsuane, was chosen as Amyrlin Seat. This makes a total of ten known Amyrlins raised from the Green."

"While they wait for Tarmon Gai’don to approach, Green sisters are seekers of justice (NS, Ch. 11), fighting “for justice where it often could be obtained only through their Warders’ swords” (NS, Ch. 7)."

Edited by Ryrin

• 2 weeks later...

My first instinct would be to say Green, but then thinking on it for a time Blue was close to the Green and I like mysteries and adventure.  However the lure of the research and discoveries the Browns pursued is highly tempting, but in the end it would be blue and I'd probably be really friendly with a bunch of greens and browns and learn their tricks and secrets.

I would be Gray (I'm a peacemaker) or Brown (I love reading and I'm spacey). 

I always thought some of the criteria were strange though. I mean, say you want to fight in battles and be ready for Tarmon Gai'don but you're not sex and men crazed and/or don't want multiple warders? Like if you're a lesbian or something? 

Or, say, what if you think that men who can channel need to be gentled, but you actually like other men quite a lot, and would enjoy a Warder?

I would pick Green because they seem to be the nicest people (maybe Brown/Blue too?) but they seem to not have much to do. 

Or, say, what if you think that men who can channel need to be gentled, but you actually like other men quite a lot, and would enjoy a Warder?

• 2 weeks later...

Not to discourage you, but I came here thinking very strongly that I would be one Ajah and I ended up in another. Come by and visit us in the White Tower and Warders. You won't be able to see all of the boards unless you decide to become a member. All of the Ajahs are there.

• RP - LEGACY

As I have recently begun to reread the series, I am relearning about the Ajah. At this particular moment, I would have to say I would most likely be Brown Ajah.

I am fascinated by gaining knowledge and learning. As a child I often sat on the floor reading from the encyclopedia, just random entries because something caught my interest. I worked at a museum for ten years and gained my BA in History, followed my a Graduate Certificate in Women's Studies (emphasis in history). Even now, it is not uncommon for some random comment or news tidbit to begin me on a hunt for more knowledge on the topic.

I am sure as I continue to read, and learn more about the other Ajah, I may learn that a different one would be more suited for me. I am so glad that I have rediscovered this world, and that it called to me, and led me here.